Bird pushes Storm past MercuryJul 9, 2012 - 3:25 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - After missing Saturday's loss to Los Angeles, Sue Bird returned to pour in a game-high 31 points Sunday to lift Seattle to an 83-68 victory over Phoenix at Key Arena.
Bird, who missed Saturday's game with a hip injury, shot 10-of-11 from the field, including five-of-six from three-point range to pace the Storm. Camille Little chipped in 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds as Seattle won its fifth straight regular season home game against Phoenix.
DeWanna Bonner led the Mercury with 12 points while Alexis Gray-Lawson netted 11 points, but Phoenix lost for the 12th time in its last 15 games.
Bird showed no ill effects from her absence as she didn't miss a shot en route to 13 points in the first quarter to give the Storm a 22-12 lead going into the second.
Seattle never looked back, carrying a 17-point lead into the locker room before cruising to a double-digit victory in the second half.
The teams will meet again on Friday in Phoenix.
- PHOENIX: 68
Jul 8 11:02 PM
- PHOENIX: 28
Jul 8 9:57 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 8 9:14 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14