Smith, Storm cruise past MercuryJul 14, 2012 - 4:18 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Katie Smith had a game-high 19 points as the Seattle Storm dominated the Phoenix Mercury, 83-64.
Smith knocked down four-of-five three-point attempts and was 7-for-11 from the field as the Storm won for the third time in their last five games.
Shekinna Stricklen posted a double-double off the bench for Seattle, dropping 15 points and pulling down a season-high 11 rebounds. Camille Little added 15 points.
DeWanna Bonner paced the Mercury with 18 points on 4-of-17 shooting and Lynetta Kizer and Alexis Hornbuckle contributed 14 and 13, respectively, as the Mercury lost their sixth straight game.
The Storm, which led by four at half, broke the game open in the third quarter, outscoring Phoenix 26-6 and opening up a lead as large as 26 in the fourth quarter. Seattle controlled the game in the paint and on transition, outscoring Phoenix 38-20 in the painted area and 20-7 on the fast break.
Due to the Summer Olympics in London, the WNBA is out of action until August 16.
- SEATTLE: 83
Jul 13 11:57 PM
- SEATTLE: 41
Jul 13 10:59 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 13 10:58 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14