Liberty thump MercurySep 6, 2012 - 1:20 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Plenette Pierson scored a team-high 17 points on 8-of-13 shooting as the New York Liberty routed the Phoenix Mercury, 87-59, at Prudential Center on Wednesday.
Kara Braxton and Alex Montgomery had 12 points and five rebounds apiece, while Nicole Powell netted 11 points and Cappie Pondexter scored 10 points to go with eight assists for the Liberty, who have won back-to-back games on the heels of a three-game slide.
DeWanna Bonner paced the Mercury with a game-high 20 points, while Diana Taurasi had 10 points and Alexis Hornbuckle finished with 10 points and seven rebounds in the setback, which snapped a brief two-game winning streak for Phoenix.
New York led by 10 after one quarter and then took control of the game in the second quarter, outscoring Phoenix, 28-16, in the frame to hold a 51-29 margin at the break.
The Liberty dominated play inside, outscoring Phoenix by a 50-20 margin in the paint, while the lead grew to as large as 32 en route to the easy victory.
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22