Mercury survive late rally against DreamAug 4, 2013 - 4:28 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi scored 28 points and the Phoenix Mercury snapped a three-game losing streak with an 82-76 win over the Atlanta Dream, on Saturday.
DeWanna Bonner had 23 points while Brittney Griner, the No. 1 overall pick in this April's draft, returned after missing nearly a month with a knee sprain and had nine points and three blocks.
Angel McCoughtry had 33 points and eight assists, but committed seven turnovers while Erika de Souza recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Dream, who have lost five of their last six games after starting the season 10-1.
The Mercury were down 43-40 at halftime, but limited the Dream to just nine points in the third period, and entered the fourth quarter with a 58-52 lead.
In the final period, Phoenix extended its lead to 14 points, 75-61, with 5:11 remaining in regulation, but a 15-2 run by Atlanta put them within one, 77-76, with just over a minute left to play.
However, the Dream were 0-for-4 from the field while Taurasi and Bonner combined to sink six free throws in the final 49 seconds.
- ATLANTA: 76
Aug 4 12:03 AM
- ATLANTA: 43
Aug 3 10:54 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 3 10:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11