Mercury upend Liberty behind Bonner's outside shootingSep 11, 2013 - 3:43 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - DeWanna Bonner and Candice Dupree dropped in 18 points apiece to propel the Phoenix Mercury to an 80-76 win over the New York Liberty at the Prudential Center.
Bonner made 4-of-5 shots from 3-point range and all four of her free throw attempts in the win, the Mercury's fourth straight. Diana Taurasi tallied 17 points and nine assists, while Brittney Griner scored nine points to go with four blocked shots.
Katie Smith paced New York with 17 points, but needed 16 shots to get them. Alex Montgomery and Kelsey Bone added 13 and 11 points, respectively, off the bench. Plenette Pierson had 15 boards and a team-high six assists in the loss.
Phoenix jumped out to a 26-18 lead after one quarter, but saw its advantage shrink to 43-41 at halftime. Bone and Montgomery combined for 15 points in the second period to keep New York within striking distance.
The Liberty led for the bulk of the third quarter before losing the lead for good midway through the fourth, when Taurasi sank a pull-up jumper from 17 feet to give Phoenix a 71-69 edge with 5:16 remaining.
Taurasi's two free throws in the final seconds sealed it for the Mercury.
- PHOENIX: 80
NEW YORK: 76
Sep 10 9:17 PM
- PHOENIX: 62
NEW YORK: 61
End of 3rd
Sep 10 8:48 PM
- PHOENIX: 43
NEW YORK: 41
Sep 10 8:08 PM
- PHOENIX: 26
NEW YORK: 18
End of 1st
Sep 10 7:40 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 10 7:19 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22