Mercury edge Silver Stars, clinch playoff berthSep 7, 2013 - 4:31 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner scored 16 points and hauled in 14 rebounds and the Phoenix Mercury secured a playoff berth with an 83-80 victory against the San Antonio Silver Stars.
Diana Taurasi finished with 21 points and seven assists, Candice Dupree tallied 18 points and eight rebounds and Briana Gilbreath scored 12 for Phoenix, which is going back to the postseason for the fourth time in five years.
Danielle Adams score a game-high 26 for San Antonio, losers in five of its last seven. Jayne Appel hauled in a game-best 17 rebounds in defeat.
San Antonio was able to whittle its 18-point deficit down to 80-78 with 24 seconds remaining in regulation. Taurasi was fouled and missed her second free throw, but Phoenix got the rebound to retain possession.
Taurasi then sank her two ensuing free throws to seal it.
- SAN ANTONIO: 80
Sep 7 12:10 AM
- SAN ANTONIO: 32
Sep 6 10:52 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 6 10:15 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6