Fever pull away in third, top Lynx in season openerMay 20, 2007 - 1:24 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Anna DeForge's big third quarter helped the Indiana Fever open their season on a winning note.
DeForge scored six of her 10 points in the third and Tan White added 17 overall as the Fever posted an 83-64 victory over the Minnesota Lynx in the season opener for both teams Saturday.
Already with a 10-point lead at halftime, Indiana opened the third period with a 12-4 run to stretch the advantage to 48-30. DeForge highlighted the spurt with a big 3-pointer with 7:11 remaining.
The Lynx never recovered, entering the final quarter with a 64-46 deficit.
Tamika Whitmore scored 16 points and Tamika Catchings added 12, seven rebounds and four assists for the Fever.
Seimone Augustus led Minnesota with 16 points and Nicole Ohlde chipped in 15 and nine boards.
Augustus, who scored 12 of her points in the third, left the game with 7:46 to go in the fourth with a right knee injury. Her status for Sunday's home opener against Sacramento is unknown.
INDIANA 83 FINAL
May 19 9:07 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22