Thorn's career game leads Liberty in season openerMay 20, 2007 - 11:07 PM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Erin Thorn started the season in scintillating fashion.
Catching fire from the outside, Thorn scored a career-high 28 points as the New York Liberty posted an 83-71 victory over the Chicago Sky in the season opener for both teams on Sunday.
Having made just two starts in her four-year career prior to Sunday, Thorn is being called upon to help fill the void left by the trade of Becky Hammon to the San Antonio Silver Stars.
Thorn more than showed that she may be able to take on a bigger role after making seven of the Liberty's 13 3-pointers, which matched a franchise record. She went 8-of-16 overall from the floor.
In the fourth quarter, Thorn drained a pair of shots from the arc during an 11-0 surge that provided a commanding 75-63 cushion with 2:56 remaining.
Shameka Christon scored 14 points and Loree Moore added 12 for the Liberty, who battled back from a 49-37 third-quarter deficit.
Monique Currie collected 20 points and 11 rebounds for Chicago, which was playing its first game under new coach Bo Overton.
NEW YORK 83 FINAL
May 20 6:04 PM
NEW YORK 58 END, 3RD QTR
May 20 5:36 PM
NEW YORK 33 HALFTIME
May 20 4:53 PM
NEW YORK 17 END, 1ST QTR
May 20 4:29 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8