Hammon scores 26 to lead Silver StarsMay 30, 2007 - 3:45 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- Houston, we have a problem ... and apparently, it was the second quarter.
After enjoying a 10-point first-quarter lead, the winless Houston Comets were nearly run off the court in the second quarter as the San Antonio Silver Stars raced to an 82-71 victory Tuesday.
Guard Becky Hammon scored 10 of her game-high 26 points in the decisive quarter for San Antonio, which outscored Houston, 24-7, in the frame. Hammon was 6-for-9 from 3-point range and helped the Silver Stars convert a team-high 13 of their 24 3-point attempts. By comparison, Houston was 2-for-19 from 3-point range.
Forward Sophia Young added 16 points for San Antonio (3-1).
Three-time WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoopes, who also has won three Olympic gold medals to her credit, was held to six points on 1-for-5 shooting from the field for the Comets.
Michelle Snow had 20 points and 12 rebounds while Tina Thompson added 18 points for Houston, which fell to 0-3 for the first time in franchise history. The Comets are one of three winless teams in the league, joining the 0-5 Minnesota Lynx and the Washington Mystics.
SAN ANTONIO 82
HOUSTON 71 FINAL
May 29 11:06 PM
SAN ANTONIO 60
HOUSTON 50 END, 3RD QTR
May 29 10:38 PM
SAN ANTONIO 35
HOUSTON 28 HALFTIME
May 29 9:56 PM
SAN ANTONIO 11
HOUSTON 21 END, 1ST QTR
May 29 9:27 PM
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5