Smith powers Mercury past Silver StarsJun 1, 2007 - 5:05 AM SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- Tangela Smith scored 22 points to lead all five starters in double figures as the Phoenix Mercury coasted to a 97-85 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Thursday night.
Smith scored 12 of her points in the first quarter to spark the Mercury to a 26-20 lead. Phoenix built the lead to 44-31 at halftime.
Diana Taurasi, who had just three points in the first half, came alive and scored 18 of her 21 points in the second half, including 10 in the third quarter as the Mercury pulled ahead by as many as 17 points.
Smith finished 9-of-12 from the field for Phoenix, which shot 54.5 percent (36-of-66) from the floor.
Cappie Pondexter added 19 points, Penny Taylor 13 and Kelly Miller 10 for the Mercury (4-1).
Becky Hammon scored 25 points and Sophia Young added 22 for San Antonio (3-2), which shot just 36 percent (30-of-83).
SAN ANTONIO 85 FINAL
May 31 9:57 PM
SAN ANTONIO 65 END, 3RD QTR
May 31 9:32 PM
SAN ANTONIO 31 HALFTIME
May 31 8:52 PM
SAN ANTONIO 20 0:00 LEFT, 1ST QTR
May 31 8:28 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6