Jones, Sun snap Mercury's winning streakJun 2, 2007 - 10:13 PM UNCASVILLE, Connecticut (Ticker) -- The Connecticut Sun used the trio of Asjha Jones, Katie Douglas and Nykesha Sales to stop the high-powered Phoenix Mercury.
Jones scored 24 points and Douglas and Sales each scored 18 as the Sun posted a 76-67 victory over the Mercury on Saturday.
It was the first time this season Connecticut (3-2) has won back-to-back games. The loss also snapped a three-game winning streak for Phoenix, which had averaged a WNBA-high 90.4 points entering this contest.
Jones shot 10-of-15 from the field. She scored a career-high 31 points in a 102-97 overtime win vs. Chicago on Thursday and stayed hot with seven points in a game-opening 13-2 run.
Jones had 15 points by at halftime, helping the Sun open a 35-27 lead. Sales scored 11 points.
Douglas tallied eight points in the of third quarter, when the Sun took a 59-46 lead into the final period. Connecticut shot 44 percent (32-of-72) despite misfiring on 16-of-18 3-pointers.
Tangela Smith scored 18 points and Cappie Pondexter scored 14 for the Mercury, which shot 36 percent (25-of-69). Former UConn star Diana Taurasi managed 13 of 4-of-11 shooting.
CONNECTICUT 76 FINAL
Jun 2 5:28 PM
CONNECTICUT 59 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 2 5:01 PM
CONNECTICUT 35 HALFTIME
Jun 2 4:24 PM
CONNECTICUT 20 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 2 3:53 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3