Taurasi leads Mercury past MonarchsJun 10, 2007 - 4:22 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Diana Taurasi scored 26 points to lead the Phoenix Mercury to a 74-70 victory over the Sacramento Monarchs.
Cappie Pondexter scored 16 points and Penny Taylor added 15 as Phoenix (6-4) held off a furious rally in the final two minutes to snap Sacramento's 12-game home winning streak.
A pair of 3-pointers sandwiched around a three-point play by Ticha Penicheiro sparked a 9-2 run and pulled the Monarchs within 72-70 with 1:30 to play.
Chelsea Newton had a chance to force overtime but missed a tying attempt in the lane with four seconds to play.
Kelly Miller then sealed it for the Mercury by hitting a pair of free throws with eight-tenths of a second left.
Taurasi scored 14 of her points in the opening quarter as Phoenix led by as many as 13 points in the first half.
Rebekkah Brunson scored 17 points and grabbed a career-high 17 rebounds for Sacramento (5-3).
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Fever and Lynx to meet in WNBA Finals in rematch of 2012 Sep 30
- USA Basketball suspends Griner for start of training camp Sep 29