Sutton-Brown, Whitmore help Fever crush LibertyJun 11, 2007 - 12:02 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Tammy Sutton-Brown tied career highs with 22 points and 13 rebounds and Tamika Whitmore also scored 22 as the Indiana Fever rolled to an 80-61 victory over the New York Liberty on Sunday.
Sutton-Brown signed as a free agent during the offseason after spending six season with Charlotte. She connected on 10-of-12 shots and handed out two assists as the Fever won their third straight game.
Indiana wasted little time taking control, jumping out to a 23-7 lead after the first quarter. Whitmore and Sutton-Brown combined for 14 points in the period.
The Fever continued to pour it on in the second half as Anna DeForge drained a 3-pointer and Whitmore found Tamika Catchings for an 18-footer, extending the lead to 53-34 at the 3:54 mark in the third.
New York was never able to challenge thereafter, dropping its second straight game since opening the season with a five-game winning streak.
Erin Thorn had 17 points and five steals and Ashley Battle scored 11 off the bench for the Liberty, who shot 38 percent (24-of-64) from the field.
NEW YORK 61
INDIANA 80 FINAL
Jun 10 7:52 PM
NEW YORK 44
INDIANA 59 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 10 7:24 PM
NEW YORK 20
INDIANA 38 HALFTIME
Jun 10 6:50 PM
NEW YORK 7
INDIANA 23 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 10 6:27 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22