Pondexter's 22 points helps Mercury rally past FeverJun 16, 2007 - 1:18 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Cappie Pondexter scored 22 points and Diana Taurasi scored 21 as the Phoenix Mercury rallied to post a 89-78 victory over the Indiana Fever on Friday.
Reserve Kelly Schumacher scored 14 points and Tangela Smith had 12 and six rebounds for Phoenix, which snapped a five-game losing streak at Conseco Fieldhouse.
With the Mercury trailing, 41-39, at halftime, Pondexter scored eight in the third quarter to help Phoenix take a 62-58 lead entering the final period. Pondexter connected on 9-of-19 from the floor.
In the fourth quarter, after Indiana took a 73-72 lead on a layup by Tan White with 3:47 left, Taurasi scored five straight points on a pair of free throws and 3-pointer with 2:54 remaining to give the Mercury a 77-73 lead. Taurasi had 11 points in the period for Phoenix (7-5), which has won three of its last four.
Tamika Catchings and Tammy Sutton-Brown each scored 17 points for the Fever (8-2), who lost for the first time at home in seven chances.
INDIANA 78 FINAL
Jun 15 9:03 PM
INDIANA 58 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 15 8:28 PM
INDIANA 41 HALFTIME
Jun 15 7:53 PM
INDIANA 29 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 15 7:31 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8