Newton helps Monarchs keep Comets winlessJun 17, 2007 - 4:48 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Chelsea Newton scored a career-high 17 points and veteran Yolanda Griffith added 13 as the Sacramento Monarchs defeated the winless Houston Comets, 75-63, on Saturday.
Rebekkah Brunson had 12 points and seven rebounds and reserve Scholanda Robinson scored 10 for Sacramento (7-3), which beat Houston on Monday and has won five of its last six.
Houston (0-10) is off to the second-worst start in league history. The Detroit Shock set the WNBA record by opening the 2002 season 0-13.
Newton, who was traded back to the Monarchs in March after played her second season in the WNBA with the Chicago Sky, connected on 5-of-7 from the floor. She was a rookie member of the 2005 WNBA champions before being selected in the 2006 WNBA expansion draft.
Sacramento, which shot 42 percent (25-of-60), trailed, 30-26, at halftime before an 8-0 run at the end of the third quarter gave the Monarchs a 47-40 lead entering the final period.
Tina Thompson scored 24 points and Hamchetou Maiga-Ba had 12 points and five assists for the Comets, who shot 48 percent (24-of-50).
SACRAMENTO 75 FINAL
Jun 17 12:07 AM
SACRAMENTO 47 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 16 11:37 PM
SACRAMENTO 26 HALFTIME
Jun 16 11:00 PM
SACRAMENTO 11 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 16 10:34 PM
- Kings owner will no longer operate WNBA franchise Nov 20
- Powell sets team scoring mark in Monarchs' win Sep 14
- Hammon's 27 points lift Silver Stars past Monarchs Sep 11
- De Souza leads Dream past Monarchs Sep 5
- Brunson scores 32, leads Monarchs over Sun Sep 2
- Monarchs' Lawson sidelined Aug 31
- Sun-Monarchs Preview Aug 31
- Monarchs hold off Fever 79-78 Aug 29
- Monarchs-Fever Preview Aug 29
- Lynx use 3-pointers to defeat Sacramento Aug 29
- Monarchs-Lynx Preview Aug 27
- Dream continue hot streak with win over Monarchs Aug 25