Big fourth quarter lifts Shock past MercuryJun 23, 2007 - 4:45 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Katie Smith scored 11 of her 16 points in the fourth quarter as the Detroit Shock overcame a 16-point deficit to earn an 87-84 victory over the Phoenix Mercury.
The Mercury opened up their biggest lead when Jennifer Lacy knocked down a jumper with 1:29 remaining in the third quarter.
The Shock bridged the gap between the third and fourth quarters with a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to 75-66 with 9:01 remaining in the game.
Smith connected once from the arc and hit 8-of-8 free throws in the final quarter.
Phoenix (7-7) was undone in the fourth by the poor shooting of All-Star Diana Taurasi. The 25-year-old guard shot just 6-of-22 from the field and was 2-for-9 in the fourth quarter, finishing with 15 points.
Detroit (10-1) got a big boost from guard Shannon Johnson, who led the team with 23 points on 8-of-13 shooting, including hitting 7-of-12 from the arc.
Penny Taylor led the Mercury with 23 points.
PHOENIX 84 FINAL
Jun 23 12:01 AM
PHOENIX 75 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 22 11:28 PM
PHOENIX 53 HALFTIME
Jun 22 10:56 PM
PHOENIX 22 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 22 10:28 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Fever and Lynx to meet in WNBA Finals in rematch of 2012 Sep 30
- USA Basketball suspends Griner for start of training camp Sep 29