Taylor leads balanced attack as Mercury down CometsJul 1, 2007 - 3:11 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- Penny Taylor scored 26 points to lead six players in double figures for the Phoenix Mercury, who earned a 92-75 victory over the Houston Comets on Saturday.
Taylor scored 56 points over the last two contests for the Mercury, who won a home-and-home against the Comets without the services of leading scorer Diana Taurasi. The All-Star guard was suspended two games for inappropriate conduct toward an official in Phoenix's 87-84 loss versus Detroit on June 22.
After Houston's Roneeka Hodges nailed a 3-pointer midway through the third quarter to narrow the Comets' deficit to 51-47, Phoenix responded with a 12-2 run over a two-plus minute stretch that opened up a 63-49 lead, capped off by Kelly Mazzante's shot from the arc with 3:11 remaining in third.
The Mercury would never look back from that point on, taking as much as a 20-point lead midway through the final period.
Tina Thompson scored 16 points to pace the Comets, whose two losses to the Mercury are the only ones the team has suffered over their last six games.
HOUSTON 75 FINAL
Jun 30 10:27 PM
HOUSTON 54 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 30 10:02 PM
HOUSTON 36 HALFTIME
Jun 30 9:25 PM
HOUSTON 20 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 30 8:57 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Fever and Lynx to meet in WNBA Finals in rematch of 2012 Sep 30
- USA Basketball suspends Griner for start of training camp Sep 29