Taylor leads Mercury in blowout win over LynxJul 4, 2007 - 3:17 AM MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Penny Taylor paced the Phoenix Mercury with 26 points as they cruised past the Minnesota Lynx on Tuesday.
Holding on to a 14-12 lead at the 3:33 mark in the opening quarter, Taylor scored 10 points during a 26-12 stretch over the next 9:31 to expand the Mercury lead to 40-24 at 4:02 of the second period.
Kelly Miller scored 16 points and Diana Taurasi added 15 and nine assists in her return from a two-game suspension for Phoenix, which has won six of its last seven games.
However, the Lynx made a valiant attempt to climb back into the game. After Taylor's 3-pointer gave the Mercury an 84-56 lead, the Lynx went on a 23-2 run to cut the lead to seven with 2:49 to play. But Tangela Smith, who was traded to Phoenix in the offseason, hit four free throws toward the end to give the Mercury a 13-point lead with 1:43 remaining to seal the victory.
Minnesota rookie guard Seimone Augustus scored 16 points for the Lynx, who lost for just the second time in nine tries against the Mercury at the Target Center.
MINNESOTA 79 FINAL
Jul 3 10:04 PM
MINNESOTA 55 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 3 9:34 PM
MINNESOTA 30 HALFTIME
Jul 3 8:55 PM
MINNESOTA 15 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 3 8:26 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25