Taylor, Pondexter lift Mercury past SunJul 7, 2007 - 5:27 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Penny Taylor scored 30 points and rookie Cappie Pondexter added 25 points, including the game-winning jumper with 2.1 seconds remaining in the second overtime, to give the Phoenix Mercury a 111-109 win over the Connecticut Sun on Friday.
The Mercury erased a five-point deficit in the final two minutes of the extra session to improve to 3-5 against Eastern Conference opponents.
All-Star Diana Taurasi ignited the comeback with a 3-point shot at 1:52, cutting the lead to 109-107. Pondexter tied the game with 35.8 seconds remaining on a 13-footer and won it with a 14-foot floater from the left of the lane.
Taylor has scored 25 points or more in her last four games. tying a WNBA record. She fouled out with 2:23 left in the first overtime. Sun guard Lindsay Whalen was fouled by Kelly Miller, but the officials called the foul on Taylor.
Nykesha Sales and Asjha Jones each scored 22 points to lead Connecticut, which set a franchise mark by shooting 16-of-31 from the 3-point line. The Sun have lost four of their last five games.
Tangela Smith and Taurasi each contributed 18 points and Miller chipped in with 15 for Phoenix.
A layup by Smith with 27.5 seconds remaining in the first overtime gave Phoenix a 102-100 lead but Sales answered right away with a 15-footer to send the game into a second overtime.
Connecticut twice had chances to win in regulation. Katie Douglas hit a 3-point shot to give the Sun a 93-90 lead with 28 seconds remaining.
Phoenix came right back when Taurasi scored on a three-point play to tie the game with 19 second left. Whalen then missed a layup at the buzzer.
The Sun also squandered a chance in the second extra frame. Jamie Carey's 3-pointer capped a 7-0 run for a 109-104 lead with 2:29 left, setting up the Mercury's final rally.
PHOENIX 111 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jul 7 12:34 AM
PHOENIX 102 End 1ST OT, GOING INTO 2ND OT
Jul 7 12:22 AM
PHOENIX 93 END OF 4TH QTR GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jul 7 12:06 AM
PHOENIX 70 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 6 11:32 PM
PHOENIX 43 HALFTIME
Jul 6 10:53 PM
PHOENIX 18 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 6 10:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3