Liberty take advantage of quick start to beat MonarchsJul 8, 2007 - 10:22 PM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Erin Thorn and Cathrine Kraayeveld scored 13 points apiece as the New York Liberty capitalized on a quick start en route to a 71-61 victory over the Sacramento Monarchs on Sunday.
Returning home following a 2-2 road trip, the Liberty used a 25-5 run to close the first quarter to build a 32-12 advantage. Thorn scored eight points in the period, when the Liberty shot 79 percent (11-of-14).
Kraayeveld made 5-of-9 shots and also grabbed eight rebounds.
Loree Moore added 12 points for the Liberty, who avenged a 59-46 loss to the Monarchs on June 26.
Rebekkah Brunson scored 18 points to lead Sacramento, which shot a woeful 32 percent (22-of-69) and made just 2-of-15 3-pointers and 15-of-27 free throws.
Monarchs All-Star guard Ticha Penicheiro was limited to just one point.
NEW YORK 71 FINAL
Jul 8 6:03 PM
NEW YORK 63 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 8 5:34 PM
NEW YORK 48 HALFTIME
Jul 8 4:56 PM
NEW YORK 32 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 8 4:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9