Rattlers dominate Soul in ArenaBowl XXVAug 11, 2012 - 7:25 AM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - Nick Davila threw for 266 yards and nine touchdowns on Friday, and the Arizona Rattlers secured the Foster Trophy with a 72-54 pasting of the Philadelphia Soul in ArenaBowl XXV.
Maurice Purify had nine receptions for 143 yards and seven touchdowns for the Rattlers, who bounced back after falling in the ArenaBowl a season ago.
It is the third Arena Bowl championship for Arizona and first since 1997.
"It felt great to get back here and win it for the fans and for the organization," Davila said. "We were unstoppable on offense and we had enough stops on defense to get a win."
Kerry Reed added eight catches for 80 yards and a score, while Markee White also had a touchdown grab in the romp. Odie Armstrong carried the ball four times for six yards and a score.
The Rattlers kept vaunted Philadelphia's offense in check, getting two interceptions from Arkeith Brown and one from Kev McCullough.
Soul quarterback Dan Raudabaugh completed 26-of-42 passes for 285 yards, seven touchdowns and all three picks.
"I thought I didn't play well enough for us to win," Raudabaugh said. "I thought we were well prepared and I have to give it to Arizona. They executed well and made their plays when the ball was in the air."
Larry Brackins caught four touchdown passes for the Soul, who were looking to capture another championship after winning ArenaBowl XXII.
In the American Conference Championship Game against Jacksonville, the Soul scored 89 points and posted the largest margin of victory (55) in AFL playoff history.
They failed to reproduce the effort on Friday, however, and scored just 13 points in a lackluster first half.
The Rattlers took advantage, jumping out to a 24-6 advantage in the second quarter behind two touchdown grabs from Purify, one from Reed, and a 30-yard field goal from Chris Gould.
Arizona was on top 27-13 at halftime and opened the third quarter with a 38- yard scoring strike from Davila to Purify.
Davila took a hit to the knees on the play and hobbled off the field, but he returned intact on the Rattlers' next series, which ended with a 29-yard touchdown grab by Purify.
The Soul failed to threaten the rest of the way and when time expired at New Orleans Arena, the Rattlers had recaptured the elusive Foster Trophy, which had eluded them for 15 years.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Arizona holds on for fourth ArenaBowl Aug 17
- KISS-owned AFL team announced for Los Angeles Aug 15
- Jenkins, Brown and Goodman Earn Weekly Honors Jun 12
- Coffman, Lewis and McGlenn Earn Weekly Honors Jun 5
- Raudabaugh, Thomas and Stephens Earn Weekly Honors May 28
- Garcia, Robinson and Toliver Earn Weekly Honors May 14
- Windsor, Hyland, Williams & Goodman earn weekly honors May 7
- McPherson, Belton & Gray earn weekly honors Apr 30
- Zbydniewski, Stephens & Windsor earn weekly honors Apr 23
- Meyer, Goosby & Hughley earn weekly honors Apr 17
- Meyern, Goosby & Hughley earn weekly honors Apr 17
- Players of the Week: Hills, Everett and Goodman Apr 9