Rookies highlight NLL weekly awardsApr 18, 2012 - 6:24 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Stephan Leblanc, Kyle Rubisch, Jordan MacIntosh and Johnny Powless have won the National Lacrosse League's Player of the Week awards for Week 15.
Leblanc earned Offensive Player of the Week honors after tying season highs for goals (four), assists (five) and points (nine) to lead Toronto in scoring during its 19-12 loss to Colorado on Saturday. He also picked up five loose balls. Leblanc is the fourth member of the Rock to be selected as the week's top offensive player in 2012, joining Josh Sanderson, Kasey Beirnes and Garrett Billings.
Rubisch is picked as Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this year. He led Edmonton with nine loose balls, drew an assist and forced three turnovers in Saturday's 11-8 win over Buffalo. The win moved Edmonton closer to clinching a playoff berth.
MacIntosh won the Transition Player of the Week award for the first time in his career. He scored twice, drew one assist and led Minnesota with nine loose balls in its playoff berth-clinching 14-9 win over Washington last Saturday. Minnesota clinched a playoff berth with the win. The fourth overall pick in the 2011 NLL Entry Draft won Rookie of the Week in Week 4.
For the second consecutive week, though, the top rookie award went to Rochester's Johnny Powless. Taken one pick after MacIntosh last September, Powless tied career highs with three goals, four assists and seven points, and picked up three loose balls in the Knighthawks' 14-12 win over Calgary on Saturday. The win combined with the Minnesota win over Washington later that evening clinched a playoff berth for the Knighthawks. It's the third Rookie of the Week award for Powless.
The weekly player award winners are selected by a vote of the league's general managers and head coaches.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Striebel, Schwartzman & Marasco grab week 14 honors in MLL Aug 13
- Danowski, Bernhardtk & Schuss grab week 13 honors in MLL Aug 6
- Thul, Zink & Lawson grab week 12 honors in MLL Jul 30
- Powell, Ghitelman & Schuss grab week 11 honors in MLL Jul 22
- Rabil, Durkin & Cooper grab week 10 honors in MLL Jul 10
- Leveille, Schwartzman & Flint grab week 9 honors in MLL Jul 1
- Danowski, Durkin & Manny grab week 8 honors in MLL Jun 27
- Cummings, Gurenli & Law grab week 7 honors in MLL Jun 17
- Westervelt, Galloway & Law grab week 6 honors in MLL Jun 11
- Keogh, Galloway & Pannell grab week 5 honors in MLL Jun 4
- Crotty & Schwartzman grab week 3 honors in MLL May 14
- Merrill & Rubeor grab week 2 honors in MLL May 6