Dixon & Schwartzman grab week two honors in MLLMay 7, 2012 - 5:49 PM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Major League Lacrosse, the premier professional outdoor lacrosse league, announced Monday its weekly award winners for the week ending May 6, 2012, according to MLL Commissioner David Gross. Chesapeake Bayhawks midfielder Kyle Dixon was named as the MLL Offensive Player of the Week while Denver Outlaws goalkeeper Jesse Schwartzman received the MLL Defensive Player of the Week award.
In leading the Bayhawks to a convincing 23-11 victory over the Ohio Machine on Saturday night, Dixon set one MLL record and tied a second record after scoring four goals, including three two-point markers, with three assists. In the second quarter, he gave Chesapeake an 11-6 advantage when he scored the 34th two-point goal of his MLL career, which surpassed the previous career record set by former Bridgeport/Philadelphia Barrage midfielder Roy Colsey.
After scoring a one-point goal with 5:15 left in the third quarter, Dixon added a two-point goal with 2:17 left in the third quarter and another two-point marker just over four minutes into the fourth quarter to become the eighth player in MLL history with three two-point goals in a single game.
The MLL's leading scorer with 13 points, Dixon posted the 16th 10-point game in MLL history and finished just two points shy of tying the Bayhawks' franchise record for points in a game that was set by Mark Millon on June 27, 2003 at Rochester when he scored eight goals with four assists.
While Dixon was leading the Bayhawks' defense, Schwartzman was guiding the Outlaws to a 15-6 victory over the Hamilton Nationals at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Honored as the MLL Defensive Player of the Week for the sixth time in his career, the former Johns Hopkins University standout made 12 saves and allowed just five goals in 58 minutes. He also led a Denver defense that held Hamilton scoreless for the second and third quarters, marking the first time in Outlaws history that the team has held an opponent scoreless in back- to-back quarters.
Schwartzman, who ranks second in the MLL with an 8.17 goals against average, is tied for second in the MLL with 21 saves in two games this season.
For the first time this season, all eight teams will be playing as the 2012 MLL season enters its third week. Hamilton will travel to Boston to face the defending MLL champion Cannons while Charlotte and Ohio will face each other in a battle of the league's newest teams. Meanwhile, Rochester travels to Chesapeake and Denver hosts Long Island.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Crotty & Schwartzman grab week 3 honors in MLL May 14
- Merrill & Rubeor grab week 2 honors in MLL May 6
- Dixon & Gurenlian grab week 1 honors in MLL May 1
- Evans, MacIntosh, Grimes & Smith highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 24
- Dawson, MacIntosh, Miller & Critch highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 17
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Belanger & Jackson highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 10
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Matisz & Vinc highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 3
- Small, Boldh, Knight & Kedoh Hill highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 27
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Carlson & Belton highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 20
- Dobbie, Gamble, Richards & Belanger highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 13
- Ward, Thorimbert, Rubisch & Matthews highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 6
- Duch, MacIntosh, Miller & Matisz highlight NLL weekly awards Feb 27