Amidon & Gabel grab week three honors in MLLMay 16, 2012 - 1:57 PM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Major League Lacrosse, the premier professional outdoor lacrosse league, announced Monday its weekly award winners for the week ending May 13, 2012, according to MLL Commissioner David Gross. Charlotte Hounds midfielder Josh Amidon was named as the League's Offensive Player of the Week while Rochester Rattlers goalkeeper Mike Gabel earned the Defensive Player of the Week award.
In addition, Denver Outlaws midfielder/face-off specialist Stephen Robarge was named as the first recipient of the Cascade Rookie of the Week award for the 2012 season.
Amidon led the Hounds to the first win in the team's history with an 18-15 victory over the Ohio Machine on Saturday night at American Legion Memorial Stadium. Named as the Bud Light MLL Player of the Game, he scored three goals, including a two-point marker, with two assists.
Amidon scored two of his goals during a 6-1 Charlotte run that gave the Hounds a 9-6 lead with 1:58 left in the second quarter. He also tallied his two-point goal during a five-point run for the Hounds that extended their lead to 14-9 midway through the third quarter.
With eight points in three games, Amidon is tied for second on the team and is one of three Charlotte players with a two-point goal this season.
Meanwhile, Gabel anchored a Rochester defense that limited Chesapeake to a season-low six goals en route to a 12-8 victory at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on Saturday night. Gabel made a season-high 27 saves, including 17 in the second half, as the Rattlers earned their first win of the season.
The 27 saves by Gabel are the most by an MLL goalkeeper this season and the most since former Philadelphia Barrage goalkeeper Brian Dougherty had 28 saves on July 3, 2008.
Gabel, who made his first start of the season against the Bayhawks on Saturday night, has posted a 6.40 goals against average while stopping 78.4 per cent of the shots he has faced.
Making his Major League Lacrosse debut on Saturday night, Robarge won 17 of 30 face-offs and recorded four ground balls as the Outlaws won their third straight game, a 19-11 victory over the Long Island Lizards at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Robarge, who played his college lacrosse at VMI, was the Outlaws' sixth-round selection in the 2012 MLL Collegiate Draft. He was the 44th player taken in the draft.
The fourth week of the 2012 MLL season will feature four games. On Friday morning, the Hamilton Nationals will host the Chesapeake Bayhawks in their 2012 home opener. On Saturday evening, the Hounds will welcome Long Island to Charlotte while the Ohio Machine makes its home debut against Rochester. In addition, Denver will host the defending MLL champion Boston Cannons on Saturday night.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Crotty & Schwartzman grab week 3 honors in MLL May 14
- Merrill & Rubeor grab week 2 honors in MLL May 6
- Dixon & Gurenlian grab week 1 honors in MLL May 1
- Evans, MacIntosh, Grimes & Smith highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 24
- Dawson, MacIntosh, Miller & Critch highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 17
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Belanger & Jackson highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 10
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Matisz & Vinc highlight NLL weekly awards Apr 3
- Small, Boldh, Knight & Kedoh Hill highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 27
- Crawford, MacIntosh, Carlson & Belton highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 20
- Dobbie, Gamble, Richards & Belanger highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 13
- Ward, Thorimbert, Rubisch & Matthews highlight NLL weekly awards Mar 6
- Duch, MacIntosh, Miller & Matisz highlight NLL weekly awards Feb 27