Colgate visits No. 14 WisconsinNov 16, 2011 - 4:09 PM Madison, WI (Sports Network) - The 14th-ranked Wisconsin Badgers continue a season-opening four-game homestand when they welcome the Colgate Red Raiders to Madison for non-conference action at the Kohl Center.
Bo Ryan's Badgers will once again factor in the Big Ten race this season. They won their season-opener for the 10th straight time, routing Kennesaw State on Saturday, 85-31.
The Red Raiders won just seven games a season ago, but with a solid core of veterans returning to the fold, Matt Langel hopes his team can move up the Patriot League standings. Colgate opened the season with a 78-74 road win at Binghamton on Saturday.
This marks the first-ever meeting between these two teams on the hardwood.
The Red Raiders led by as many as 18 points in the second half against Binghamton and held on for a four-point win thanks to free-throw shooting down the stretch. The team won its season-opener for the first time in three seasons thanks to the play of senior guard Mike Venezia, who netted a game- high 22 points. Senior forward Sterling Melville netted a career-high 17 points, while juniors Brandon James and Mitch Rolls chipped in with nine points apiece. Center John Brandenburg grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds in the win. The Red Raiders shot a solid 49 percent from the floor in the game.
Wisconsin shot a sizzling 58.8 percent from the floor, including a hefty 15- of-25 from three-point range (60 percent), making light work of Kennesaw State in the season-opener. The Badgers dominated from the start and led 41-8 at the half, before putting it in cruise control the rest of the way. Five Badgers finished in double figures, led by Josh Gasser and Pen Brust at 14 points apiece. Ryan Evans added 13 points, while Jordan Taylor and Jared Berggren chipped in with 11 points each. Jordan is the centerpiece of the Wisconsin attack, as the All-American candidate can do just about everything on the court.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Ole Miss takes down No. 5 Wisconsin Mar 22
- Badgers, Rebels meet in West Regional brawl Mar 21
- Buckeyes edge Badgers for Big Ten title Mar 17
- Badgers battle Buckeyes in Big Ten championship game Mar 17
- No. 22 Wisconsin shocks No. 3 Indiana to gain Big Ten final Mar 16
- Badgers, Hoosiers go toe-to-toe in Big Ten semifinals Mar 16
- Wisconsin downs Michigan in Big Ten quarterfinals Mar 15
- Big Ten Tournament brawl pits Wolverines against Badgers Mar 15
- Jackson's 3 lifts No. 22 Wisconsin over PSU Mar 10
- Badgers and Nittany Lions clash in Big Ten affair Mar 10
- Appling, No. 10 Michigan State down No. 22 Wisconsin Mar 8
- Top-25 foes clash in Big Ten brawl Mar 7