Kansas' Robinson entering NBA DraftApr 9, 2012 - 4:54 PM Lawrence, KS (Sports Network) - Kansas junior forward Thomas Robinson has decided to skip his senior season to enter the NBA Draft.
Robinson averaged team highs of 17.7 points and 11.9 rebounds in 39 games this past season, leading the Jayhawks to the national championship game. He scored 18 points and grabbed 17 rebounds in Kansas' loss to Kentucky in the NCAA final last Monday.
"It's beyond words what this program's meant to me," Robinson said at a Monday press conference. "It's going to be hard leaving. I'll miss my teammates, coaching staff, the town and the fans."
Robinson, who has not yet hired an agent, said it was a difficult decision, but it gives him the opportunity to take care of his family. He made the announcement with his sister, celebrating her ninth birthday, at his side.
The 6-foot-10 native of Washington, DC will likely be a lottery pick in the draft. He's the ninth Kansas player to leave school early in the last six years.
"This is the best time for him [to enter the draft]," said Kansas head coach Bill Self. "He's done everything, plus some. He's given everything he can to this program. Everyone should be so excited for him."
As a sophomore, Robinson was Kansas' most productive player off the bench. He averaged 7.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 33 games, all but two in a reserve role.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Highly-touted recruit Wiggins settles on Kansas Tue
- KU's McLemore declares for NBA Draft Apr 9
- Wolverines punch ticket to Elite Eight with OT win over Kansas Mar 30
- Sweet 16 matchup pits Jayhawks against Wolverines Mar 28
- Strong 2nd half pushes Kansas past UNC Mar 24
- Tar Heels, Jayhawks meet in clash of college hoops royalty Mar 23
- Withey, Kansas slip past Western Kentucky in NCAA second round Mar 23
- Second-round action on tap as top-seeded Jayhawks meet Hilltoppers Mar 21
- Kansas wins 9th Big 12 Tournament title in rout of K-State Mar 16
- Big 12 title game pits Wildcats against Jayhawks Mar 16
- Ellis leads Kansas past Iowa State in Big 12 semis Mar 16
- Cyclones face Jayhawks in Big 12 semifinals Mar 15