Report: Dempsey leaving Rider for BinghamtonMay 22, 2012 - 4:48 PM Trenton, NJ (Sports Network) - Binghamton University has reportedly lured Tommy Dempsey away from Rider University to become its new men's basketball coach.
According to nj.com, Dempsey has agreed to take over at Binghamton after spending the past seven seasons at Rider. The publication said only contract details need to be finalized.
Binghamton needs a new coach after Marc Macon was fired in April on the heels of a 2-29 season. The Bearcats were just 23-70 in Macon's three-year tenure.
Dempsey was 119-105 at Rider, including 13-19 this past season. It marked the fewest wins for the Broncs since 2005-06, when the team was 8-20 after Dempsey was given the job on an interim basis following Don Harnum's promotion to athletic director.
Rider had five winning seasons under Dempsey and three postseason appearances, reaching the CBI Tournament in the spring of 2008 and the CIT in 2009 and 2011.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Binghamton provides little resistance to No. 3 Michigan Dec 11
- No. 3 Wolverines take on Bearcats Dec 11
- Dempsey leaving Rider for Binghamton May 24
- Baggett named Rider head coach May 24
- Macon out at Binghamton Apr 30
- No. 12 Florida rolls past Rider Dec 9
- Rider heads to Sunshine State to tangle with No. 12 Florida Dec 9
- English, No. 21 Mizzou race past Binghamton Nov 27
- Winless Bearcats come calling on 21st-ranked Tigers Nov 27
- No. 10 Pitt pulls away late to beat Rider Nov 13
- Broncs ride into Steel City to take on 10th-ranked Panthers Nov 13