Montana gives Tinkle, Selvig extensionsMay 25, 2012 - 9:30 PM Missoula, MT (Sports Network) - The University of Montana gave head basketball coaches Robin Selvig and Wayne Tinkle three-year contract extensions on Friday.
Tinkle has guided the men's team to a 116-71 record over the past six seasons, including a 66-30 mark in Big Sky Conference games. His 116 career victories are the fourth most in school history.
The Grizzlies went 25-6 last season and earned a trip to the NCAA Tournament. Montana ended up losing to Wisconsin in the second round.
"I have so much respect for Wayne, not only for his teams' excellence on the court, but most importantly for their successes in the classroom and community," Montana interim director of athletics Jean Gee said. "He and his staff recruit quality young men who are so well-rounded, and they are simply a joy to be around. The future of Grizzly basketball looks very bright with the signing of Wayne to a three-year contract extension."
Tinkle played for the Grizzlies from 1985-89 and was a three-time Big Sky all-conference selection from his sophomore through his senior seasons.
Selvig will enter his 35th year as the women's head coach of the Lady Griz and his 40th year as either a coach or player at his alma mater.
Selvig has an impressive 774-247 record as Montana's head coach.
The 19-time conference coach of the year, Selvig has guided the Lady Griz to 32 winning seasons, 27 20-win seasons and 19 NCAA Tournaments.
One of the top coaches in NCAA Division I women's basketball, Selvig will enter the 2012-13 season 26 wins shy of 800 for his career. The only active NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches currently with 800 wins are Rutgers' C. Vivian Stringer, North Carolina's Sylvia Hatchell, Stanford's Tara VanDerveer and Connecticut's Geno Auriemma.
Selvig was a four-year member of the Grizzly basketball team from 1970-71 to 1973-74. He was an All-Big Sky selection as a senior.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20
- Montana repeats as Big Sky champions Mar 17
- Weber State takes on Montana in Big Sky title game Mar 16
- Balanced attack leads Wisconsin in rout of Montana Mar 15
- Badgers clash with Grizzlies in Big Dance Mar 15
- Montana tops Weber State, wins Big Sky tourney Mar 8
- Weber State and Montana meet in Big Sky title tilt Mar 7
- Northern Colorado wins Big Sky to reach first NCAA tourney Mar 9
- New Mexico needs big 2nd half to hold off Montana Mar 19