Mike Davis named interim coach at Texas SouthernAug 3, 2012 - 4:35 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Former Indiana and UAB head coach Mike Davis has been named the interim coach at Texas Southern.
Davis, who was fired at UAB in March after six seasons, will take over for Tony Harvey, who resigned for personal reasons last month.
"I'm really excited for the opportunity to lead the Texas Southern men's basketball program," said Davis. "Basketball has grown tremendously in the state of Texas over the past years and I'm looking forward to being a part of the TSU athletic department and the local community."
Davis guided UAB to a record of 122-73 during his six years at UAB, but was fired after a 15-16 mark this past season. He led the Blazers to an NCAA Tournament berth in the spring of 2011 after three straight NIT appearances.
Before his stint at UAB, Davis posted a mark of 115-79 at Indiana from 2000-06. He led the Hoosiers to the 2002 NCAA Tournament title game.
"Coach Davis brings with him an impressive resume both on and off the court as clearly shown by the success his student-athletes have achieved academically and athletically," said Texas Southern athletic director Dr. Charles McClelland. "We're elated to be able to bring someone with his credentials to lead our program next season."
Harvey compiled a 56-72 record in four seasons at TSU, including a 15-18 mark in 2011-12, a season that ended with a loss to Mississippi Valley State in the SWAC Tournament championship game.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Franklin leads San Diego State past Texas Southern Dec 4
- Hapless Tigers hope to claw way past streaking Aztecs Dec 3
- No. 19 Colorado outlasts Texas Southern in double OT Nov 28
- Buffaloes set sights on Tigers Nov 27
- No. 21 Michigan State easily handles Texas Southern Nov 18
- Michigan State opens home slate against Texas Southern Nov 18
- Texas Southern gets postseason ban from NCAA Oct 9
- Harvey steps down as Texas Southern's men's basketball coach Jul 3
- Mississippi Valley State wins SWAC title Mar 11
- SWAC title on the line, as Tigers take on Delta Devils Mar 10
- Miller leads 12th-ranked Bears past Texas Southern Nov 12