Oklahoma F Griffin 'not close' to returningFeb 24, 2009 - 10:11 PM NORMAN, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- The father of Oklahoma star forward Blake Griffin is not sure when his son will be able to return to the lineup.
Griffin missed Monday's showdown against Kansas due to a concussion suffered in Saturday's 73-68 loss at Texas.
"He'a a little bit better than he was," Tommy Griffin told The Oklahoman during Monday's game. "But he's nowhere close to being ready to play."
Oklahoma (25-3) is off until visiting Texas Tech on Saturday. Following that contest, the Sooners only have two regular-season games remaining - March 4 a Missouri and March 7 at home against Oklahoma State.
The Sooners do not know exactly when Griffin suffered the concussion, but his father told The Oklahoman that he thinks it was caused by three different blows, including a shot by Longhorns guard Dogus Balbay that struck Griffin under his chin.
Without Griffin, a top candidate for national player of the year, Oklahoma suffered an 87-78 loss to Kansas, falling behind by as many as 20 points early in the second half before a late rally fell short.
The defeat knocked Oklahoma out of sole possession of first place in the Big 12, but the Sooners' biggest concern is getting Griffin ready for the conference tournament.
While Griffin was on the bench Monday and cheered enthusiastically during the Sooners' second-half comeback attempt, he appeared disoriented at times.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Sooners and Cowboys add another chapter to bitter rivalry 10:43a
- Sooners bounce back by trouncing Texas Tech Wed
- Red Raiders take aim at another upset in clash with Sooners Wed
- Baylor shuts down struggling Oklahoma Jan 24
- Sooners and Bears mix it up in Big 12 tussle Jan 24
- Kansas downs Oklahoma in ranked Big 12 clash Jan 20
- Oklahoma and Kansas do battle in pivotal Big 12 bout Jan 19
- Oklahoma tames rival Oklahoma State Jan 17
- Bedlam Battle adds another chapter, as Sooners host Pokes Jan 17
- West Virginia crushes Oklahoma Jan 14
- Sooners and Mountaineers meet in Big 12 showdown Jan 13
- Foster's 3 in OT lifts K-State past Sooners Jan 11