Oklahoma F Griffin 'not close' to returningFeb 24, 2009 - 10:11 PM NORMAN, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- The father of Oklahoma star forward Blake Griffin is not sure when his son will be able to return to the lineup.
Griffin missed Monday's showdown against Kansas due to a concussion suffered in Saturday's 73-68 loss at Texas.
"He'a a little bit better than he was," Tommy Griffin told The Oklahoman during Monday's game. "But he's nowhere close to being ready to play."
Oklahoma (25-3) is off until visiting Texas Tech on Saturday. Following that contest, the Sooners only have two regular-season games remaining - March 4 a Missouri and March 7 at home against Oklahoma State.
The Sooners do not know exactly when Griffin suffered the concussion, but his father told The Oklahoman that he thinks it was caused by three different blows, including a shot by Longhorns guard Dogus Balbay that struck Griffin under his chin.
Without Griffin, a top candidate for national player of the year, Oklahoma suffered an 87-78 loss to Kansas, falling behind by as many as 20 points early in the second half before a late rally fell short.
The defeat knocked Oklahoma out of sole possession of first place in the Big 12, but the Sooners' biggest concern is getting Griffin ready for the conference tournament.
While Griffin was on the bench Monday and cheered enthusiastically during the Sooners' second-half comeback attempt, he appeared disoriented at times.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- No. 1 Michigan State beats Oklahoma, wins Coaches vs.Cancer Classic Nov 24
- Sooners and Spartans square off for Coaches vs. Cancer crown Nov 23
- Sooners' M'Baye to forego senior season Mar 28
- Franklin leads SDSU past Oklahoma Mar 23
- Aztecs set sights on Sooners in NCAA Tournament tilt Mar 21
- Oklahoma State dodges Oklahoma in OT thriller Feb 16
- Battle of bitter rivals pits Sooners against Cowboys Feb 16
- Oklahoma hands Kansas its 3rd straight loss Feb 9
- Jayhawks to try and right ship in clash with Sooners Feb 9
- Rodriguez's late free throws lifts Kansas State over Oklahoma Feb 3
- Oklahoma hosts No. 18 Kansas State in pivotal Big 12 bout Feb 2
- Kansas runs winning streak to 17 Jan 26