Nebraska extends women's coach Yori through 2017Jun 12, 2012 - 7:58 PM Lincoln, NE (Sports Network) - Nebraska has extended the contract of head women's basketball coach Connie Yori by two years after she led the team to the second-highest win total in program history.
The deal, announced Tuesday, locks up Yori through 2017.
The Huskers made the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in six years and went 24-9 this past season. They were 10-6 in their first season in the Big Ten and finished runner-up at the conference tournament.
Athletic director Tom Osborne said although Yori still had three years left on her contract, the time was right to reward her with an extension. She also got a three-year extension in May 2010.
"We are continuing with coach Yori to make a long-term commitment to the success of our women's basketball program," Osborne said in a statement. "We feel with the coming of the new Pinnacle Bank Arena and some talented young players already on our roster, the stability of our program could help attract even more talented student-athletes in the future.
"We also appreciate that Coach Yori recruits young women of high character who are interested in serving the Nebraska community while also performing well academically."
Yori also led the Huskers to the best season in team history and won several coach of the year awards in 2009-10, when they were the first Big 12 men's or women's team to complete an unbeaten regular season at 29-0, earning them the program's first No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Nebraska takes down Aggies to advance to Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Free-throw shooting helps Huskers win Mar 23
- Penn State stops streaking Nebraska, wins Big Ten outright Mar 3
- No. 8 Penn State handles Nebraska Jan 13
- 11th-seed Kansas upends 6th-seed Nebraska Mar 18
- No. 23 Nebraska upsets No. 8 Ohio State Feb 26
- No. 10 Ohio State downs Nebraska Jan 19
- Adams paces Texas A&M in rout of Nebraska Mar 5
- No. 1 Baylor cruises past Nebraska Feb 9
- Nebraska's Yori gets 3-year contract extension May 14