Texas A&M lures Sumlin from HoustonDec 10, 2011 - 11:22 PM College Station, TX (Sports Network) - Kevin Sumlin has been named as Mike Sherman's replacement as head football coach at Texas A&M.
Sherman was fired after going 6-6 in his fifth season at College Station, a campaign that started with the Aggies ranked No. 8 in the preseason poll.
Sumlin, meanwhile, took an unranked Houston program at the beginning of the season and brought it to the brink of going undefeated before losing to Southern Miss in the Conference USA Championship Game.
Regardless of the setback, Sumlin led the Cougars to a school-record 12 wins and their highest finish in the BCS standings (19).
"I am very excited about the opportunity to serve as the head football coach at Texas A&M University," Sumlin said. "Having coached there before, I understand the culture and embrace the commitment by the 12th Man regarding Aggie football. Aggieland is a special place and I look forward to working with the young men in the football program and recruiting the type of players we need to be successful in the SEC."
Texas A&M switches over from the Big 12 to the SEC next season.
"I believe [Sumlin] is the right person to lead our football program into the Southeastern Conference," Texas A&M athletics director Bill Byrne said. "First of all, Kevin is a terrific person. He is also one heck of a recruiter and he will put together a great staff."
Sumlin, who was the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M from 2001-02, guided Houston to a 35-17 record in four years at the helm.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Johnny Football eyes encore performance May 2
- Report: Sumlin gets raise at A&M Feb 28
- Texas A&M's Joeckel to enter NFL Draft Jan 8
- Manziel sets QB rushing mark, Aggies rout Sooners in Cotton Bowl Jan 5
- Texas A&M and Oklahoma renew rivalry in Cotton Bowl Classic Jan 4
- Texas A&M's Joeckel wins Outland Trophy Dec 6
- Manziel wins O'Brien Award Dec 6
- Manziel again masterful as Aggies rout Missouri Nov 25
- Former Big 12 rivals meet as SEC foes Nov 21
- No. 9 Texas A&M stomps Sam Houston State Nov 17
- Texas A&M receiver found safe Nov 15
- Texas A&M WR Johnson missing Nov 15