Baylor QB Griffin to enter NFL DraftJan 11, 2012 - 10:27 PM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III will enter the NFL Draft.
The fourth-year junior quarterback made it official Wednesday afternoon, announcing while wearing Baylor colors that he is forgoing his senior season with the program he helped raise to prominence.
"It's a day of celebration," said Bears head coach Art Briles, who was at Griffin's side during the press conference. "I'm excited, I'm happy and I'm happy for Robert because of the way he's conducted himself for four years and the journey he's got in front of him."
Griffin is expected to be among the top picks after an electric season that led him to being the first Baylor player to win college football's highest individual honor.
"It's a tough decision because I love the people at this university," Griffin said. "I love my coach for giving me the chance to be a quarterback and do the things that we've done. At the end of the [Alamo Bowl], I broke down and started crying. My gut was just telling me that it was time to go."
Griffin, who turns 22 next month, passed for 4,293 yards and 37 touchdowns against just six interceptions this past season. He also rushed for 699 yards and 10 scores.
He concluded his collegiate career with a 295-yard passing effort as part of a record-breaking 67-56 win for Baylor over Washington in the Alamo Bowl. Griffin threw for a TD and ran for another score for the Bears (10-3), who had double-digit wins for the first time since 1980.
"It's been really exciting here at Baylor," said Griffin, who set or tied 54 school records. "It's been a lot of fun."
He had another season of eligibility remaining because of a medical redshirt after sustaining an isolated tear to his ACL in the third game of the 2009 season.
When asked if he weighed the thought of an another injury in his decision- making process, Griffin said: "For me, I'm a player that tries not to play scared. I'm going to go out and I'm going to give it all I have every time I step on the field. Every time you strap it up you can get injured, whether it's in a game or practice."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Baylor runs all over UCLA in Holiday Bowl Dec 28
- Bears battle Bruins in Holiday Bowl Dec 27
- Seastrunk leads Baylor past Oklahoma State Dec 1
- Cowboys and Bears meet in Big 12 battle Nov 28
- Baylor stuns No. 2 K-State Nov 18
- K-State can clinch share of Big 12 crown with win at Baylor Nov 14
- Williams leads Oklahoma past Baylor Nov 10
- Baylor comes calling on No. 14 Oklahoma Nov 7
- Smith throws for 8 TD's as No. 9 WVU wins shootout with Baylor Sep 29
- Mountaineers begin Big 12 play in top-25 showdown with Bears Sep 26
- NCAA Football Preview - Baylor Bears Aug 21