Boston College, Ferris State reach NCAA hockey finalApr 6, 2012 - 3:39 AM Tampa, FL (Sports Network) - Kyle Bonis supplied the game-winning goal in the third period and the Ferris State Bulldogs posted a 3-1 victory over the Union Dutchmen in an NCAA men's ice hockey semifinal from the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
The other semifinal saw Paul Carey score twice as Boston College dominated Minnesota, 6-1, to set up Saturday's final against Ferris State.
Aaron Schmit scored a power-play goal and added an empty-netter for the Bulldogs (26-11-5).
Union (26-8-7), who, like Ferris State, was making its first-ever Frozen Four appearance, opened the scoring at the 7:56 mark of the second period. Following a faceoff win in the Bulldogs' zone, Greg Coburn let go a shot from the point that was redirected in the slot by Daniel Carr.
Schmit tied it later in the frame, then Bonis backhanded a rebound past the glove of Troy Grosenick with 4:43 remaining in the third.
Taylor Nelson stopped 27 Union shots, while Grosenick made 34 saves.
The Dutchmen were the first ECAC team to reach the Frozen Four since Cornell in 2003.
In the night match, Steven Whitney, Brian Dumoulin, Kevin Hayes and Chris Kreider all scored while Parker Milner stopped 30 shots for the Eagles (32-10-1), who will be looking for their fifth National Championship.
Jake Hansen scored the lone goal while Kent Patterson made just 19 saves in the loss for the Golden Gophers (28-14-1), who were in the Frozen Four for the first time since 2005.
Boston College scored the only goal of the first period then blew the game open with three in the second.
Hansen scored less than two minutes into the third to breathe some life into Minnesota, but Dumolin scored 22 seconds later to again make it a four-goal game and BC added another tally later in the frame to seal the victory.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Yale beats Quinnipiac, wins first-ever national hockey title Apr 13
- LeBlanc wins 2013 Hobey Baker Award Apr 12
- Familiar foes to battle for national title Apr 11
- 2013 Frozen Four Preview Apr 10
- Quinnipiac gets top overall seed in NCAA men's ice hockey tourney Mar 24
- BC tops Northeastern, wins fourth straight Beanpot Feb 11
- Boston College, Northeastern to square off in Beanpot final Feb 4
- Above the 49: NCAA hockey on the horizon in Canada? Sep 5
- VCU's Teague named Minnesota AD Apr 23
- Fantastic four: BC tops Ferris State for NCAA hockey title Apr 8
- Connolly wins 2012 Hobey Baker Award Apr 7