Petrecki, Boston College win BeanpotFeb 12, 2008 - 4:22 AM By Mike Petraglia PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
BOSTON (Ticker) -- Nick Petrecki scored the first two goals of his college career, including the game-winner 7:07 into overtime as Boston College won its 14th Beanpot title in school history.
Freshman Brian Gibbons added two goals as the ninth-ranked Eagles beat Harvard, 6-5, in the 56th Beanpot on Monday night at TD Banknorth Garden.
Leading Hobey Baker candidate Nathan Gerbe, who had the game-tying goal and overtime winner in the first-round win over Boston University, was held scoreless. But Boston College (15-6-7) still managed to claim its second Beanpot title in five years.
The back-and-forth contest thrilled the sellout crowd of 17,565 and was the highest scoring final since Boston University beat Northeastern, 11-4, in 1996.
Petrecki, a first-round draft choice of the San Jose Sharks, scored the game-winner on a rebound as BC dominated the overtime - outshooting Harvard, 7-0.
Mike Taylor scored twice for Harvard (9-11-3), which was playing in its first Beanpot final since 1998. The Crimson was denied their first championship since 1993 in the annual Boston winter tradition.
Earlier in the evening, Colin Wilson's second goal of the game with 3:19 remaining lifted the Terriers to a 5-4 win over Northeastern in the consolation contest.
Wilson's score was the last of three unanswered goals for Boston University, which did not appear in the championship game for the first time since 1994.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Agosta, Vaillancourt, Vetter finalists for Kazmaier Award Mar 10
- Boston College wins NCAA hockey title Apr 13
- BC, Notre Dame meet for hockey title Apr 12
- Michigan's Porter wins Hobey Baker Award Apr 11
- Trio vie for Hobey Baker Award Apr 11
- Boston College, Notre Dame advance at Frozen Four Apr 11
- Boston College rolls in Frozen Four semifinals Apr 10
- Frozen Four begins Thursday Apr 10
- Harvard's Vaillancourt wins Patty Kazmaier Award Mar 21
- 2008 Hobey Baker Award finalists announced Mar 20
- 2008 Kazmaier Award finalists revealed Mar 12