Former Penguins minor league D Robinson dies in Italian League gameSep 28, 2007 - 1:23 AM WILKES-BARRE, Pennsylvania (Ticker) -- Former Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Darcy Robinson passed away Thursday while playing for Asiago of the Italian Ice Hockey Federation, the American Hockey League's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced. He was 26.
An eighth-round pick of Pittsburgh in 1999, Robinson was skating during Asiago's season opener against Renon when he fell to the ice. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The cause of death has yet to be determined.
"The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins would like to express our deepest condolences to the entire Robinson family," team CEO Jeff Barrett said. "Darcy was a fun-loving and friendly member of the team and was always seen around the rink with a smile on his face. That's how all Penguins fans will remember him."
Robinson, who never appeared in a game for Pittsburgh, spent parts of four seasons with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton from 2001-05, collecting three goals and 18 assists in 158 contests. He was entering his third campaign with Asiago after notching 10 tallies and 17 points in 66 games over the first two seasons.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pens whip Sharks; Crosby strong in 500th game 11:11p
- Penguins' Malkin day-to-day 12:56p
- Streaking Sharks, Penguins do battle in Pittsburgh 12:51p
- Crosby's OT magic lifts Pens over Islanders Wed
- Islanders aim to get on track in clash with Penguins Tue
- Malkin highlights NHL's 'Three Stars' again Mon
- Malkin powers Penguins past Panthers Sun
- Panthers host Penguins aiming to rebound on homestand Nov 30
- Fleury, Pens blank Lightning Nov 29
- Lightning hope to push win streak to 3 straight vs. Pens Nov 29
- Penguins rally from early 3-goal deficit, beat Leafs in SO Nov 28
- Leafs try to rebound against Crosby, Pens Nov 27