Report: Islanders owner regrets buying teamMay 3, 2009 - 3:52 AM MELVILLE, N.Y.(AP) -- New York Islanders owner Charles Wang says he regrets buying the money-losing NHL team nine years ago.
"If I had the chance I wouldn't do it again," Wang told Newsday.
Citing the team's annual audited financial reports, Newsday reported Saturday on its Web site that Wang has spent $208.8 million - an average of $23 million per year - to keep the team operating. He also spent $74.2 million when he and Sanjay Kumar bought the club and assumed $97 million in liabilities.
"His numbers are real," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told Newsday. "Yes, we're aware the Islanders lose money, a significant amount of money. And it goes back to the team's need for a new arena."
Wang said he initially assumed Nassau Coliseum would either be refurbished or replaced within a few years, but his proposed $3.7 billion Lighthouse Project has been held up and is still under review by the Town of Hempstead.
"Never in my life, would I have anticipated this thing could be dragged out for seven, eight years," said Wang, the founder of Computer Associates.
An NHL-worst 26-47-9 this season, the Islanders will play a preseason game in September in Kansas City, Mo., prompting speculation about a move. Officials in Willets Point in Queens also have expressed interest in the team.
"I'm not saying I'll move," Wang said. "I'm saying I'll explore all my options."
Wang and Kumar, the former Computer Associates chief executive, bought the Islanders in 2000 for about $190 million. Wang bought out Kumar - serving a 12-year prison term for a $400 million accounting fraud scandal - in 2004.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Flames use late rally to sink Islanders 12:39a
- Young Flames play host to Islanders 10:54a
- Hall's overtime tally helps Oilers beat Islanders Fri
- Isles, Oilers meet in Edmonton Thu
- Habs get Vanek from Isles Wed
- Grabner's OT marker lifts Islanders past Jets Wed
- Flyers obtain MacDonald from Isles Tue
- Jets try to extend another streak in clash with Isles Tue
- Panthers down Islanders Mar 2
- Isles activate F Nielsen Mar 2
- Boxed out: Panthers, Isles aim to rebound on Long Island Mar 2
- Jagr scores 700th goal as Devils crush Isles Mar 1