Lynx set record with 10th straight win to start seasonJun 16, 2012 - 4:35 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Lindsay Whalen poured in 29 points as the Minnesota Lynx set a WNBA record with their 10th straight win to open the season, a 78-60 romp of the Phoenix Mercury on Friday.
Minnesota had tied the mark set by the 2001 and 2003 Los Angeles Sparks last Saturday with a 20-point win over Tulsa and broke the record thanks to Whalen and 14 points from Seimone Augustus.
DeWanna Bonner had 18 points and Candice Dupree added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Mercury, who have dropped five of their past six.
Minnesota never trailed in the game as Whalen opened the scoring with a layup and the team held a 21-16 lead after the first quarter.
The Lynx opened the second quarter with a 9-1 run and later scored seven unanswered to take a 43-27 lead into the break.
Minnesota continued to run in front in the second half and led by as many as 23 in the record-setting contest.
- MINNESOTA: 78
Jun 16 12:07 AM
- MINNESOTA: 62
End of 3rd
Jun 15 11:42 PM
- MINNESOTA: 43
Jun 15 10:59 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 15 10:14 PM
- Lynx waive Adair Thu
- Lynx re-sign C Adair Feb 1
- Reeve signs extension with Lynx Dec 6
- Catch the Fever: Indiana wins WNBA title Oct 22
- Fever on doorstep of 1st WNBA title Oct 19
- Augustus, Lynx even series with Game 2 victory Oct 17
- Catchings, Fever hold off Lynx to take Game 1 Oct 15
- Lynx hold off Sparks to return to Finals Oct 7
- Moore, Lynx make statement with Game 1 win over Sparks Oct 4
- Augustus, Moore help Lynx advance to West finals Oct 2
- Storm down Lynx in double overtime to even series Oct 1
- Whalen shines as Lynx weather Storm in Game 1 Sep 28