Lynx set record with 10th straight win to start seasonJun 16, 2012 - 4:35 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Lindsay Whalen poured in 29 points as the Minnesota Lynx set a WNBA record with their 10th straight win to open the season, a 78-60 romp of the Phoenix Mercury on Friday.
Minnesota had tied the mark set by the 2001 and 2003 Los Angeles Sparks last Saturday with a 20-point win over Tulsa and broke the record thanks to Whalen and 14 points from Seimone Augustus.
DeWanna Bonner had 18 points and Candice Dupree added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Mercury, who have dropped five of their past six.
Minnesota never trailed in the game as Whalen opened the scoring with a layup and the team held a 21-16 lead after the first quarter.
The Lynx opened the second quarter with a 9-1 run and later scored seven unanswered to take a 43-27 lead into the break.
Minnesota continued to run in front in the second half and led by as many as 23 in the record-setting contest.
- MINNESOTA: 78
Jun 16 12:07 AM
- MINNESOTA: 62
End of 3rd
Jun 15 11:42 PM
- MINNESOTA: 43
Jun 15 10:59 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 15 10:14 PM
- Mercury name Brondello head coach Nov 15
- Lynx win second WNBA title in three years Oct 11
- Minnesota's Moore wins WNBA Finals MVP Oct 11
- Augustus, Lynx take 2-0 lead over Dream Oct 8
- Lynx rout Dream in Game 1 of WNBA Finals Oct 7
- Lynx sweep Mercury, return to WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finals Sep 27
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Augustus helps Lynx sweep Storm Sep 22
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Lynx pull away, top Storm in Game 1 Sep 20
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20