Currie helps Mystics nab first win of seasonJun 14, 2007 - 1:20 AM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Monique Currie came off the bench to score a career-high 25 points and Alana Beard added 16 as the Washington Mystics picked up their first win of the season, an 86-69 triumph over the Phoenix Mercury on Wednesday night.
Currie was acquired from the Chicago Sky in a trade for center Chasity Melvin last month. The 6-foot Washington native shot 5-of-9 from the field and made 13-of-14 free throws.
The Mystics (1-8) took the lead for good when they bridged a commanding 25-9 burst over the final two quarters for a 73-59 advantage with 5:20 remaining.
Washington shot 45 percent (24-of-59) and forced 18 turnovers.
The Mystics' defense was the key, holding the Mercury under 70 points for the second time this season. Phoenix entered leading the league in scoring at 84 points per game.
Diana Taurasi led the way for Phoenix, netting 28 points on 11-of-19 shooting. It was the sixth time Taurasi reached the 20-point plateau this campaign.
- PHOENIX: 69
Jun 13 9:00 PM
- PHOENIX: 51
End of 3rd
Jun 13 8:31 PM
- PHOENIX: 31
Jun 13 7:55 PM
- PHOENIX: 17
End of 1st
Jun 13 7:29 PM
- Mercury name Brondello head coach Nov 15
- Lynx sweep Mercury, return to WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finals Sep 27
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Dream down Mystics in Game 3, advance to East finals Sep 23
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- McCoughtry, Dream top Mystics Sep 22
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20
- Latta, Mystics down Dream in Game 1 Sep 20
- Moore, Latta named WNBA Players of the Week Sep 16
- Hill, Mystics down Liberty Sep 15
- Sparks pummel Mercury in playoff preview Sep 15