Currie helps Mystics nab first win of seasonJun 14, 2007 - 1:20 AM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Monique Currie came off the bench to score a career-high 25 points and Alana Beard added 16 as the Washington Mystics picked up their first win of the season, an 86-69 triumph over the Phoenix Mercury on Wednesday night.
Currie was acquired from the Chicago Sky in a trade for center Chasity Melvin last month. The 6-foot Washington native shot 5-of-9 from the field and made 13-of-14 free throws.
The Mystics (1-8) took the lead for good when they bridged a commanding 25-9 burst over the final two quarters for a 73-59 advantage with 5:20 remaining.
Washington shot 45 percent (24-of-59) and forced 18 turnovers.
The Mystics' defense was the key, holding the Mercury under 70 points for the second time this season. Phoenix entered leading the league in scoring at 84 points per game.
Diana Taurasi led the way for Phoenix, netting 28 points on 11-of-19 shooting. It was the sixth time Taurasi reached the 20-point plateau this campaign.
- PHOENIX: 69
Jun 13 9:00 PM
- PHOENIX: 51
End of 3rd
Jun 13 8:31 PM
- PHOENIX: 31
Jun 13 7:55 PM
- PHOENIX: 17
End of 1st
Jun 13 7:29 PM
- Mystics acquire Hollingsworth from Liberty Apr 15
- Atlanta picks up Thomas from Washington Feb 19
- Thibault resurfaces with Mystics Dec 18
- Mercury win No. 1 pick Sep 26
- Mystics part ways with Lacey Sep 24
- Storm down Mercury in regular-season finale Sep 23
- Vandersloot leads Sky over Mystics Sep 22
- Moore shines as Lynx maul Mercury Sep 22
- Mercury's Dupree signs extension Sep 21
- Sparks rout Mercury, clinch West's No. 2 seed Sep 19
- Sky rout Mercury Sep 16
- Liberty hold off Mystics Sep 16