Pondexter's 22 points helps Mercury rally past FeverJun 16, 2007 - 1:18 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Cappie Pondexter scored 22 points and Diana Taurasi scored 21 as the Phoenix Mercury rallied to post a 89-78 victory over the Indiana Fever on Friday.
Reserve Kelly Schumacher scored 14 points and Tangela Smith had 12 and six rebounds for Phoenix, which snapped a five-game losing streak at Conseco Fieldhouse.
With the Mercury trailing, 41-39, at halftime, Pondexter scored eight in the third quarter to help Phoenix take a 62-58 lead entering the final period. Pondexter connected on 9-of-19 from the floor.
In the fourth quarter, after Indiana took a 73-72 lead on a layup by Tan White with 3:47 left, Taurasi scored five straight points on a pair of free throws and 3-pointer with 2:54 remaining to give the Mercury a 77-73 lead. Taurasi had 11 points in the period for Phoenix (7-5), which has won three of its last four.
Tamika Catchings and Tammy Sutton-Brown each scored 17 points for the Fever (8-2), who lost for the first time at home in seven chances.
- PHOENIX: 89
Jun 15 9:03 PM
- PHOENIX: 62
End of 3rd
Jun 15 8:28 PM
- PHOENIX: 39
Jun 15 7:53 PM
- PHOENIX: 21
End of 1st
Jun 15 7:31 PM
- Catchings, Zellous fuel Fever past Silver Stars in WNBA opener 10:47p
- Indiana's Phillips sidelined with torn meniscus Tue
- Indiana's Davenport sidelined with fractured tibia May 15
- Catch the Fever: Indiana wins WNBA title Oct 22
- Indiana's Pohlen out with torn ACL Oct 20
- Fever on doorstep of 1st WNBA title Oct 19
- Indiana's Douglas to miss Game 3 of WNBA Finals Oct 19
- Augustus, Lynx even series with Game 2 victory Oct 17
- Catchings, Fever hold off Lynx to take Game 1 Oct 15
- Fever bury Sun to advance to Finals Oct 11
- Zellous lifts Fever over Sun in Game 2 Oct 8
- Sun down Fever in Game 1 Oct 5