Lakers G Bryant day-to-day with hyperextended kneeOct 22, 2008 - 11:02 PM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Reigning league MVP Kobe Bryant has a hyperextended knee, and is day-to-day, according to Wednesday's Los Angeles Times.
Bryant, who suffered the injury in the Los Angeles Lakers' 102-98 win over Charlotte on Tuesday, says he hopes to play Thursday against the Bobcats. He sustained the injury when he bumped into teammate Josh Powell and landed awkwardly while trying to rebound teammate Sun Yue's missed shot.
He scored four points in 14 minutes before leaving.
"My knee just went back and I felt a little crunch, a little pop," Bryant told the paper. "I was worried. That's the scariest part, is just sitting there for five or 10 minutes and waiting to see what's going to develop."
It was a tense moment for Bryant and the Lakers, who have championship aspirations. The Lakers lost the NBA Finals in six games to the Boston Celtics last season.
"I saw the ring flash before my eyes," he said, a reference to Los Angeles' title hopes.
Bryant did not practice on Wednesday, but may play Thursday.
"If I'm good enough to go, I'm going to go. I don't see why not," he told the paper.
Bryant already had injury concerns entering this season, as the star guard had decided not to have surgery on his injured right pinkie. The two-time scoring champion has long refused a surgical procedure on the digit - which has been injured since February - if it meant missing any regular-season contests.
Los Angeles opens the regular season against the Portland Trail Blazers on October 28, and Bryant said, "I should be fine."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lakers hire Warriors assistant Luke Walton as head coach 12:15a
- Wednesday's Sports in Brief Thu
- Warriors grant Lakers permission to interview Luke Walton Wed
- Lakers GM Kupchak hopes his coaching search isn't lengthy Mon
- Byron Scott won't return to coach Lakers next season Apr 25
- Heat and Hornets will finally find separation, in playoffs Apr 16
- Lakers begin life after Kobe with uncertainty everywhere Apr 15
- Thunder star Russell Westbrook rolling as playoffs arrive Apr 15
- After Kobe's big night, Lakers begin life without the star Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- 'Kobe means LA': Lakers fans lament on Bryant's last game Apr 14
- After final-night party, time to get to business in the NBA Apr 14