Lakers G Bryant day-to-day with hyperextended kneeOct 22, 2008 - 11:02 PM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Reigning league MVP Kobe Bryant has a hyperextended knee, and is day-to-day, according to Wednesday's Los Angeles Times.
Bryant, who suffered the injury in the Los Angeles Lakers' 102-98 win over Charlotte on Tuesday, says he hopes to play Thursday against the Bobcats. He sustained the injury when he bumped into teammate Josh Powell and landed awkwardly while trying to rebound teammate Sun Yue's missed shot.
He scored four points in 14 minutes before leaving.
"My knee just went back and I felt a little crunch, a little pop," Bryant told the paper. "I was worried. That's the scariest part, is just sitting there for five or 10 minutes and waiting to see what's going to develop."
It was a tense moment for Bryant and the Lakers, who have championship aspirations. The Lakers lost the NBA Finals in six games to the Boston Celtics last season.
"I saw the ring flash before my eyes," he said, a reference to Los Angeles' title hopes.
Bryant did not practice on Wednesday, but may play Thursday.
"If I'm good enough to go, I'm going to go. I don't see why not," he told the paper.
Bryant already had injury concerns entering this season, as the star guard had decided not to have surgery on his injured right pinkie. The two-time scoring champion has long refused a surgical procedure on the digit - which has been injured since February - if it meant missing any regular-season contests.
Los Angeles opens the regular season against the Portland Trail Blazers on October 28, and Bryant said, "I should be fine."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Los Angeles Lakers sign F Jonathan Holmes to multiyear deal Aug 13
- NBA schedule has Christmas finals rematch, more player rest Aug 12
- Some things to note from the 2015-16 NBA schedule Aug 12
- Pacers add free-agent guard Toney Douglas to roster Aug 11
- Davis endorses Gentry plan for roster stability, new style Jul 27
- Cavs send Christmas to Pacers for future draft pick Jul 23
- Hibbert, Williams, Bass eager for fresh starts with Lakers Jul 22
- Suns announce signing of Knight, 3 others Jul 17
- Pacers' George eager about new direction with healed leg Jul 11
- Russell gets his first look at the NBA's bright lights Jul 11
- Nets sign veteran guard Wayne Ellington Jul 11
- Towns, Russell debut as Wolves top Lakers in Summer League Jul 11