Gonzaga Fs Heytvelt, Davis suspended after drug arrestFeb 10, 2007 - 11:32 PM SPOKANE, Washington (Ticker) -- Gonzaga will be without second-leading scorer Josh Heytvelt for an indefinite period.
Heytvelt and freshman Theo Davis were both suspended indefinitely by the school on Saturday following their arrest on drug charges.
According to a report by the Spokesman Review, the arrest took place late Friday in Cheney, Washington after police found both players in possession of marijuana and "psychedelic" mushrooms during a routine traffic stop for defective equipment.
"I am shocked and disappointed," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "We regret the far-reaching effect this has on our program and the university."
According to police, the marijuana charge will be a misdemeanor because of the small amount, but the possession of the mushrooms is a felony.
"I was saddened to learn of the allegations against Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis," Gonzaga president Fr. Robert Spitzer said. "I have met with Mike Patterson, chairman of the Board of Trustees, coach Mark Few and athletic director Mike Roth, and we take these allegations very seriously. We will follow up by applying the same rules and procedures that would be applied to any other student."
Heytvelt, who has averaged 15.5 points and a team-leading 7.7 rebounds in 25 games with the Bulldogs this season, was driving the vehicle when it was pulled over shortly after midnight.
Davis, a native of Brampton, Ontario, is redshirting this season because of a shoulder injury.
Due to the suspension, Heytvelt will miss Gonzaga's West Coast Conference contest against Saint Mary's later Saturday. The Bulldogs, who are tied for first place in the WCC at 7-2 with Santa Clara, own the nation's longest active home winning streak at 49 games.
- Duke shakes off Gonzaga, reaches Final Four Mar 29
- Gonzaga and Duke meet for spot in Final Four Mar 29
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- Wiltjer, Gonzaga cruise past Iowa Mar 22
- Bulldogs clash with Hawkeyes in South Region Mar 22
- Gonzaga holds off North Dakota State Mar 21
- Bison and Bulldogs get together in South Regional fracas Mar 20
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9