Gonzaga Fs Heytvelt, Davis suspended after drug arrestFeb 10, 2007 - 11:32 PM SPOKANE, Washington (Ticker) -- Gonzaga will be without second-leading scorer Josh Heytvelt for an indefinite period.
Heytvelt and freshman Theo Davis were both suspended indefinitely by the school on Saturday following their arrest on drug charges.
According to a report by the Spokesman Review, the arrest took place late Friday in Cheney, Washington after police found both players in possession of marijuana and "psychedelic" mushrooms during a routine traffic stop for defective equipment.
"I am shocked and disappointed," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "We regret the far-reaching effect this has on our program and the university."
According to police, the marijuana charge will be a misdemeanor because of the small amount, but the possession of the mushrooms is a felony.
"I was saddened to learn of the allegations against Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis," Gonzaga president Fr. Robert Spitzer said. "I have met with Mike Patterson, chairman of the Board of Trustees, coach Mark Few and athletic director Mike Roth, and we take these allegations very seriously. We will follow up by applying the same rules and procedures that would be applied to any other student."
Heytvelt, who has averaged 15.5 points and a team-leading 7.7 rebounds in 25 games with the Bulldogs this season, was driving the vehicle when it was pulled over shortly after midnight.
Davis, a native of Brampton, Ontario, is redshirting this season because of a shoulder injury.
Due to the suspension, Heytvelt will miss Gonzaga's West Coast Conference contest against Saint Mary's later Saturday. The Bulldogs, who are tied for first place in the WCC at 7-2 with Santa Clara, own the nation's longest active home winning streak at 49 games.
- Gonzaga crushes Texas Southern Tue
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with Bulldogs Mon
- No. 9 Gonzaga beats UCLA by 13 Sun
- Ninth-ranked Bulldogs set for battle with Bruins Dec 13
- No. 9 Gonzaga thumps Washington State Dec 11
- Cougars and Bulldogs mix it up in Evergreen State melee Dec 10
- Unbeaten Arizona outlasts Gonzaga in OT Dec 7
- Top-10 foes collide in desert duel Dec 6
- No. 9 Gonzaga takes down SELA Dec 3
- Lions hope to take down ninth-ranked Bulldogs Dec 2
- Gonzaga edges St. John's in NIT Tip-Off final Nov 28
- Gonzaga and St. John's meet for NIT Season Tip-Off title Nov 28