Gonzaga Fs Heytvelt, Davis suspended after drug arrestFeb 10, 2007 - 11:32 PM SPOKANE, Washington (Ticker) -- Gonzaga will be without second-leading scorer Josh Heytvelt for an indefinite period.
Heytvelt and freshman Theo Davis were both suspended indefinitely by the school on Saturday following their arrest on drug charges.
According to a report by the Spokesman Review, the arrest took place late Friday in Cheney, Washington after police found both players in possession of marijuana and "psychedelic" mushrooms during a routine traffic stop for defective equipment.
"I am shocked and disappointed," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "We regret the far-reaching effect this has on our program and the university."
According to police, the marijuana charge will be a misdemeanor because of the small amount, but the possession of the mushrooms is a felony.
"I was saddened to learn of the allegations against Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis," Gonzaga president Fr. Robert Spitzer said. "I have met with Mike Patterson, chairman of the Board of Trustees, coach Mark Few and athletic director Mike Roth, and we take these allegations very seriously. We will follow up by applying the same rules and procedures that would be applied to any other student."
Heytvelt, who has averaged 15.5 points and a team-leading 7.7 rebounds in 25 games with the Bulldogs this season, was driving the vehicle when it was pulled over shortly after midnight.
Davis, a native of Brampton, Ontario, is redshirting this season because of a shoulder injury.
Due to the suspension, Heytvelt will miss Gonzaga's West Coast Conference contest against Saint Mary's later Saturday. The Bulldogs, who are tied for first place in the WCC at 7-2 with Santa Clara, own the nation's longest active home winning streak at 49 games.
- NIT Season Tip-Off pits Zags against Bulldogs 11:30a
- Gonzaga blasts Division II St. Thomas Aquinas Sun
- 13th-ranked Bulldogs host underdog Spartans Sat
- No. 13 Gonzaga rips SJU Nov 20
- Hawks fly west to take on 13th-ranked Bulldogs Nov 19
- Gonzaga routs SMU Nov 18
- Top-25 foes square off in Pacific Northwest Nov 17
- Gonzaga pounds Sacramento State Nov 15
- Bulldogs get underway in showdown with Hornets Nov 14
- Washington, Gonzaga to renew series in 2016-17 Aug 4
- Reports: Gonzaga lands USC transfer Wesley May 18
- Arizona routs Gonzaga to reach Sweet 16 Mar 24