Charleston Southern beats VMI 95-85Feb 26, 2010 - 4:22 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Kenny Mitchell scored 21 points and Kelvin Martin had a double-double to lead Charleston Southern to a 95-85 win over Virginia Military Institute on Thursday night.
Martin finished with 19 points and 13 rebounds - five offensive - for the Buccaneers (13-15, 7-10 Big South Conference), who clinched a playoff berth in the conference tournament.
Jamarco Warren scored 17 points, Jeremy Sexton had 14 points and five assists, and Austin Johnson added 12 points for Charleston Southern. The Buccaneers outrebounded VMI 42-28, despite giving up 10 3-pointers to the Keydets (10-17, 5-12).
Charleston Southern never trailed in the second half, building a 83-66 lead - it largest of the game - with 3:43 left.
Austin Kenon led VMI with 32 points and five assists. Stan Okoye scored 26 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Keith Gabriel had 12 points and Michael Sparks added 11.
- VMI: 85
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 95
Feb 25 9:31 PM
- VMI: 39
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 44
Feb 25 8:18 PM
- Liberty wins Big South, going dancing with 20 losses Mar 10
- Buccaneers and Flames battle for Big South crown Mar 10
- No. 12 Arizona tops Charleston Southern Nov 11
- No. 12 Arizona opens season against Charleston Southern Nov 11
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3
- Pittsburgh dominates VMI Dec 6
- Panthers and Keydets square off in Pittsburgh Dec 6
- Buford, No. 3 Ohio State handle VMI Nov 23
- Keydets seek upset in bout with third-ranked Buckeyes Nov 23
- Radford defeats Charleston Southern 64-61 in OT Mar 2
- Coastal Carolina moves onto semis; beats VMI 82-73 Mar 2