Alabama A&M defeats Grambling State 81-60Mar 7, 2010 - 2:58 AM HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Cornelius Hester scored 18 points and Casey Cantey had 17 as Alabama A&M defeated Grambling State 81-60 on Saturday night.
The Bulldogs (11-15, 8-10 Southwestern Athletic Conference) earned the sixth seed in the conference tournament, which starts March 10 in Shreveport, La.
The Tigers (6-20, 4-14), despite losing, already had clinched the eighth and final berth earlier in the day when Southern lost to Texas Southern.
After Grambling led 23-21 with 6:43 left in the first half, Alabama A&M closed it with a 20-4 run for a 41-27 lead. Cantey scored 15 of his points in the first half.
The Bulldogs shot 45.5 percent (25-for-55) to Grambling's 33.3 percent (20-for-60), and were 6-for-13 on 3-pointers to the Tigers' 4-for-20. The Bulldogs also held a 44-35 rebounding edge.
Kevin Loyd, with 10 points, was the only Grambling scorer in double figures.
- GRAMBLING STATE: 60
ALABAMA A&M: 81
Mar 6 9:23 PM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 27
ALABAMA A&M: 41
Mar 6 8:18 PM
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 20 Michigan routs Alabama A&M Dec 17
- Alabama A&M pays visit to No. 20 Michigan Dec 17
- Crimson Tide stay perfect, down Bulldogs Nov 24
- Tide expected to roll in clash with visiting Bulldogs Nov 23
- Alabama State wins SWAC title over Grambling Mar 13
- Baylor blows out Grambling State Nov 13
- Alabama State defeats Alabama A&M 56-45 in SWAC Mar 11
- Jackson State holds off Alabama A&M 70-64 Mar 4
- Alabama State defeats Grambling State 81-76 Mar 4
- Texas Southern overwhelms Alabama A&M 98-57 Mar 2