Fredette, BYU dominate VermontDec 9, 2010 - 5:01 AM Glens Falls, NY (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette had a game-high 26 points with five assists as No. 18 BYU beat Vermont, 86-58, at Glens Falls Civic Center.
Noah Hartsock collected 14 points and 12 rebounds for the Cougars (9-0), one of the favorites in a tough Mountain West Conference. Brandon Davies had 12 points and Jackson Emery scored 11 in the victory.
"We got a lot of transition baskets which really helped our shooting percentage," said BYU head coach Dave Rose. "Our coaches did a terrific job with the preparation and the game plan and our players did a good job of executing it."
Brendan Bald posted 14 points to pace Vermont (6-2), which had a five-game winning streak snapped. Matt Glass chipped in with 10 points in the loss and Joey Accaoui added 12 off the bench.
Fredette scored BYU's first seven points for a 7-2 lead. He later hit a jumper near the midway point of the first half and Emery made another jumper as BYU doubled up Vermont's score, 20-10.
The Cougars took a 38-25 lead into halftime after a high-scoring final two minutes. Charles Abouo made a three-pointer to start the barrage, but Vermont countered with a layup by Garrett Kissell and an Accaoui three. BYU's Stephen Rogers finished the half's scoring on a trey.
BYU's lead grew to 59-41 with 11 minutes left to play in the game after a 9-3 run started by Davies' layup. Abouo capped off the run with a long three.
Minutes later, the Cougars went on a seven-point spurt highlighted by Fredette's three-point play for a 66-44 edge. During the final eight minutes BYU cruised by keeping a healthy lead, which was as big as 30 points.
It was the first meeting between the two teams...BYU shot 55.9 percent from the field, while Vermont made only 35 percent of its shots...Abouo finished with 11 points including a 3-of-4 performance from long distance...Brian Voelkel had eight points and seven rebounds in defeat.
- Baylor tops BYU, advances to NIT final Apr 2
- Bears clash with Cougars in NIT semifinals Apr 2
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Gonzaga escapes Provo with WCC title Mar 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga can claim outright WCC crown with win at BYU Feb 28
- Mr. Perfect: Olynyk doesn't miss as Gonzaga rebounds Jan 25
- Cougars visit Bulldogs in West Coast Conference showdown Jan 24
- Notre Dame bounces back, beats BYU Nov 18
- BYU and Notre Dame meet in Coaches vs. Cancer consolation Nov 17
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13