Alabama State wins SWAC title over GramblingMar 13, 2011 - 5:43 AM Garland, TX (Sports Network) - Tramayne Moorer scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds to help Alabama State earn its fourth SWAC Tournament championship with a 65-48 win over Grambling State in the title game.
Tramaine Butler posted 13 points and six rebounds for the fourth-seeded Hornets (17-17), who won their last SWAC Tournament title in 2009.
Donald Qualls had 12 points to lead the sixth-seeded Tigers (12-21), who made their first championship appearance since 1987 and still haven't claimed a SWAC crown. Lance Feurtado and Justin Patton had 11 and 10 points, respectively, while Feurtado also pulled down nine boards.
The Hornets used a seven-point spurt finished by Jeffery Middlebrooks' three- pointer to go up, 40-30, with 12:47 to play.
After Justin Patton made two free throws on the next trip down the court, Shareif Adamu connected on two free throws to spark a 14-point burst. Butler's three-pointer with 5 1/2 minutes left finished the flurry to go up 54-32.
From there, the Hornets held onto at least a 15-point lead to claim an automatic NCAA tournament bid.
Alabama State jumped to a 10-4 lead early on in the contest, but Grambling knotted things at 20 with just under eight minutes left. The Tigers scored the next six points led by Qualls' four free throws and held onto a 28-26 lead at the break.
Grambling had 13 turnovers...Neither team shot particularly well. Alabama State made 39.7 percent of its shots, while Grambling made 30.2 percent.
- GRAMBLING STATE: 48
ALABAMA STATE: 65
Mar 12 11:26 PM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 28
ALABAMA STATE: 26
Mar 12 10:14 PM
- GRAMBLING STATE: 0
ALABAMA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 12 8:34 PM
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14
- 21st-ranked Bearcats open season against visiting Hornets Nov 13
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Baylor blows out Grambling State Nov 13
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff tops Alabama State 46-44 Mar 12
- Alabama State defeats Alabama A&M 56-45 in SWAC Mar 11
- Alabama A&M defeats Grambling State 81-60 Mar 6
- Jackson State defeats Alabama State 60-59 Mar 6