Brust leads Wisconsin in rout of ColgateNov 17, 2011 - 4:35 AM Madison, WI (Sports Network) - Ben Brust scored 17 points as the 14th-ranked Wisconsin Badgers routed the Colgate Raiders, 68-41.
Brust was the only double-digit scorer for the Badgers.
Heralded Wisconsin guard Jordan Taylor scored just nine points on 3-of-10 shooting, but did grab seven boards and dished out four assists for the Badgers (2-0), who are 2-0 for the 10th consecutive season.
John Brandenburg netted 11 points for Colgate (1-1), which won its season opener against Binghamton.
"Obviously you never want to end up on the short end of a 68-41 ballgame, but Wisconsin's program, what Coach [Bo] Ryan stands for, what his players year-in and year-out do on and off the floor is really a model for college basketball in my mind," Colgate head coach Matt Langel said.
Brust paced the way with 13 first-half points -- including four three-pointers -- as the Badgers took a commanding 42-20 advantage after the opening 20 minutes.
After connecting on 15-of-25 from beyond the arc in its season-opening win against Kennesaw State, Wisconsin hit on 10-of-23 attempts from beyond the arc against Colgate and cruised in the second half despite making just 2-of-10 foul shots.
"We didn't shoot [free throws] very well. We have to be better at the line, and they know it," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said.
Wisconsin recorded 11 steals and held the Raiders to just 34.8 percent shooting from the field.
It was the first meeting between the two schools, but Wisconsin moved to 5-0 all-time against the Patriot League...Wisconsin takes on Wofford on Saturday at home in a rematch of the 2010 NCAA Tournament. The fourth-seeded Badgers escaped with a 53-49 win over the 13th-seeded Terriers in first round action.
- Ole Miss takes down No. 5 Wisconsin Mar 22
- Badgers, Rebels meet in West Regional brawl Mar 21
- Buckeyes edge Badgers for Big Ten title Mar 17
- Badgers battle Buckeyes in Big Ten championship game Mar 17
- No. 22 Wisconsin shocks No. 3 Indiana to gain Big Ten final Mar 16
- Badgers, Hoosiers go toe-to-toe in Big Ten semifinals Mar 16
- Wisconsin downs Michigan in Big Ten quarterfinals Mar 15
- Big Ten Tournament brawl pits Wolverines against Badgers Mar 15
- Jackson's 3 lifts No. 22 Wisconsin over PSU Mar 10
- Badgers and Nittany Lions clash in Big Ten affair Mar 10
- Appling, No. 10 Michigan State down No. 22 Wisconsin Mar 8
- Top-25 foes clash in Big Ten brawl Mar 7