Delaware 77, St. Francis, Pa. 64Nov 18, 2009 - 3:51 AM LORETTO, Pa. (AP) -- Freshman Elena Delle Donne scored 19 points in her college basketball debut to lead Delaware to a 77-64 victory over Saint Francis, Pa. on Tuesday night.
The 6-foot-5 freshman guard, who was the national player of the year coming out of high school, was 5 for 14 from the field. She also had seven rebounds, five assists and two blocks. Delle Donne was also 8 for 8 from the free-throw line. She set a national high school record as a sophomore hitting 80 straight free throws.
Delle Donne originally enrolled at Connecticut before transferring to Delaware (1-0). When she first left UConn, she said she was burnt out from basketball, but later figured out that she just missed being close to home and her family. After a year playing volleyball, Delle Donne decided to play basketball again this season.
Samantha Leach had 16 points to lead Saint Francis, Pa. (0-2).
- DELAWARE: 77
ST. FRANCIS (PA.): 64
Nov 17 9:05 PM
- DELAWARE: 36
ST. FRANCIS (PA.): 31
Nov 17 7:52 PM
- Kentucky holds off the Delle Donne led Blue Hens Mar 30
- Delle Donne shines as Blue Hens head for uncharted territory Mar 26
- Delle Donne sets milestone, Blue Hens advance Mar 24
- No. 9 Maryland handles Delaware Dec 20
- Kansas capitalizes on second-round win against Blue Hens Mar 21
- Delaware routs Arkansas-Little Rock for first postseason win Mar 18
- Delaware captures Colonial crown Mar 11
- No. 7 Delaware rolls past UNCW Mar 11
- Blue Hens thump ODU in CAA quarters Mar 9
- Delaware completes undefeated CAA regular season, sets wins mark Feb 29
- Delle Donne's 35 lifts Delaware over Northeastern Feb 26
- Delaware eases past George Mason Feb 23