California 78, Southern U. 47Nov 28, 2009 - 7:04 PM By RUSTY MILLER AP Sports Writer
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- DeNesha Stallworth scored 13 points and three teammates also hit double figures to lead No. 22 California past Southern U. 78-47 in Saturday's opening game of the Buckeye Classic.
Rachelle Federico and Layshia Clarendon each added 11 points and Gennifer Brandon had 10 for the Bears (3-1), who advance to Sunday's championship, where they'll play the winner of No. 3-ranked Ohio State vs. IUPUI.
Hannah Kador had 14 points, and Ashley Augerson added 11 for the Jaguars (3-1).
Southern was doomed by cold shooting. The Jaguars missed 14 of their first 15 shots, making three of their last six shots of the half to end up 6 for 33 (18 percent) to trail 24-16. They shot 48 percent in the second half, but Cal scored the first 13 points and never looked back.
- Louisville rallies in second half to reach title game Apr 7
- Clarendon leads Cal to first-ever Final Four Apr 2
- Second-half surge springs Cal past LSU Mar 31
- California outlasts South Florida in overtime to earn Sweet 16 berth Mar 26
- Boyd and Bears bounce Fresno State Mar 23
- No. 14 UCLA knocks off No. 5 Cal in Pac-12 semis Mar 10
- No. 5 California handles USC in Pac-12 quarters Mar 8
- California rolls over Washington, claims share of Pac-12 title Mar 2
- Clarendon guides California past Washington State Mar 1
- California rallies from slow start to hold off Oregon State Feb 24
- Cal cruises past Oregon for 12th straight win Feb 23
- Clarendon, No. 6 Cal down USC Feb 17