Georgia Tech handles Kennesaw State 94-48Dec 19, 2009 - 3:11 AM KENNESAW, Ga.(AP) -- Mo Bennett's improvement is paying off for No. 25 Georgia Tech.
Bennett had a career-high 23 points to lead five double-figure scorers and added 11 rebounds and Georgia Tech routed Kennesaw State 94-48 Friday night.
"We recruited Mo to be a scorer and she is coming into her own," coach MaChelle Joseph said. "She worked hard this summer and it has really helped her mid-range game."
Bennett scored 19 points against No. 1 Connecticut as a freshman last season, but she finished the season averaging 3.5 points.
"I think it jinxed her," Joseph said of the big game against UConn. "The rest of the year she struggled. But she has shown what she is capable of this season."
"Coach told me that I had to step up to play a bigger role this year and thats what Im trying to do," Bennett said. "I have a lot more confidence."
Deja Foster had 16 points and seven assists for the Yellow Jackets (8-2). Jasmine Blain added 13 points and Brigitte Ardossi and Chelsea Regins each scored 11.
Brandi Jones scored 13 points and Sametria Gideon added 12 for Kennesaw (4-5). The Owls shot 28 percent.
Georgia Tech shot 54.8 percent in the first half while building a 48-18 lead.
"This is the best team that Georgia Tech has had and I think they will just keep getting better," Kennesaw coach Colby Tilley said. "Unfortunately, we have to play them two more years."
The Yellow Jackets rested leading scorer Alex Montgomery, who is coming back from knee surgery. The returning third-team All-ACC pick has played in just half of Georgia Tech's 10 games, averaging 12.2 points. She scored 16 on Wednesday against Oregon.
The Yellow Jackets host Arizona on Sunday and play at Georgia State on Tuesday.
"She'll play against Arizona and then we'll see about Georgia State," Joseph said. "Her knee swells and we'll have to sit her out when we can."
- Terps use balanced attack to top Georgia Tech Jan 20
- No. 4 Duke crushes Georgia Tech Dec 6
- Hassell, Lady Bulldogs hold off Yellow Jackets Dec 2
- Baylor slams Georgia Tech and rolls into Elite Eight Mar 24
- Georgia Tech tackles Hoyas on way to Sweet 16 Mar 20
- Georgia Tech breaks Sacred Heart in first round Mar 18
- Maryland downs Georgia Tech to win ACC title Mar 4
- Hawkins, Thomas lead Maryland over Georgia Tech Feb 6
- Williams lifts Duke past Georgia Tech Jan 18
- Thomas lifts No. 5 Maryland over Georgia Tech Jan 6
- Ohio State claims its spot in the Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Yellow Jackets sting Bowling Green in first round Mar 19